1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! Problem using two drives with DVD Shrink 3.2

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by kgturner, Sep 24, 2004.

1. kgturner

kgturner Member

I have two DVD drives. Drive D: is my burner and Drive E: is my player. When I make a backup copy of a DVD, I place the original in Drive E: and the blank DVD-R (Ritek G05) in Drive D:. It used to work flawlessly and I could just click a few buttons and come back an hour or so later and the DVD would be ready. Now, Drive E: takes FOREVER to read. It reads at rates of under 200KB/s while Drive D: will read at 3100+KB/s. I've played DVD's in Drive E: and the play fine so it's not a matter of the DVD's being scratched. Now, I have to place the original DVD in Drive D:, let DVDShrink encode the disc, spit it out, and place a blank into the drawer. This is pissing me off!!! Does anybody know what I can do to speed up Drive E: I'm at my wits end and about ready to just purchase another DVD drive and scrap the current E: Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin T

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Try uninstalling the ide channel for Drive E, reboot and make sure DMA is enabled. Then try to rip.

3. kgturner

kgturner Member

ok...i uninstalled the secondary ide from the device manager, rebooted, and the problem still persists. dma is enabled. i have noticed that some dvd's will cause more lag than others. according to dvdshrink, it will take about 11 hours to encode the godfather while kungpow will on take 1 hour and 45 minutes. is this drive totally shot? any other suggestions?

kevin t

one more thing. just a thought. i only have 8 GB of hard drive space left primarily due to the almost 20 GB of mp3 i have on my computer as i'm building a htpc which will serve as a digital jukebox. i'm going to burn all these mp3 to 5 dvd's and delete them off the hard drive. would the extra space help to improve encode times? i know standard dvd are up to 9 GB, but dvdshrink only burns to a standard 4.7 GB dvd-5.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  4. flip218

First you said your problem was with ripping now it seems like it's encoding. Which one? Both?

Encoding really depends on your pc, how big the movie, condition of the source and what settings your using in Shrink. Still 11 hours is extremely long. I also use a P3 450mhz gateway 384mb sdram, and I used Rebuilder and it took 8 hours once.

On that same system doing a dvd 9, using both deep analysis and the default Quality Enhancement ... I think to 3-4 hours.

5. kgturner

kgturner Member

sorry if i was unclear. ripping takes about an hour to 45 minutes. it's the encoding that takes forever with drive e. drive e is a samsung 16x dvd / 52x cd-rw drive. drive d is an nec 2500a (i think - 8x) dvd burner. my current system is a celeron 2.7 ghz / 400 mhz fsb with 1.5 gb of ram. i'm running windows xp sp1 (still don't trust sp2). i'm going to upgrade my cpu to a p4 3.06 ghz / 533 mhz fsb as this is the fastest cpu my mobo (soyo p4vgm) can handle. i'm not doing any deep analysis. just standard backup. when i open the dvd from drive e, it reads fine and will load the dvd in under two minutes after video analysis. i make all the customizations i want and when i go to backup with drive d (the burner) as my desination, this is where the lag takes over. any more ideas?

kevin t

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey there Kevin, Welcome to aD my friend -

That "video analysis" you're talking about is DVD Shrink "ripping" the DVD.

Let's check and make sure your burner is the primary on your IDE cable, not a secondary.

Try InterVideo CopyDVD2 and CopyToDVD probably the fastest processing and burning proggys on the planet.

When you are using DVD Shrink with Deep Anylsis AND the Quality Enhancements you can get pretty near the same results as CCE Rebuilder down to about 60% compression BUT it does take "forever". I'm doing "Lost in Space" disc2 right now and the total time will be about 3hours and 10 minutes then again, I like my quality :)

Final thoughts, In Device manager check to be sure your drives are in DMA mode not PIO mode, make sure your Firmware is the latest for your drivers and run a check to insure you have a working ASPI layer.

Iffin you need any help checking or getting any of the info, let me know and I'll try to help -

Cheers,

Pete

7. flip218

45-60 min is a extremely long time just to rip a movie. Just ripping a movie (with Decrypter), should take around 15-20 min.

From start to finish how long does the [bold]whole[/bold] backup process take? And, are you just using Shrink? or DVD Decrypter w/ Shrink?

8. kgturner

kgturner Member

pete:

my burner is set to primary ide. the samsung is secondary. i have the burner set to master and the samsung set to slave. i tried connected both as cable select with the same results. i'm not using shrink with deep analysis or any quality enhancements. i do shrink all the menus and extras down to the lowest percentage in order to boost the quality percentage of the actual movie. usually, if it's 60% or less quality, i just re-author the disc. as far as burning goes, the whole process from start to finish using both the samsung to rip and the burner to burn takes between 2-3 hours. if i just use the burner, i can usually do it all in about an hour. i have checked and both drives are set for dma. mode 2 if i recall properly. i'm not sure where i can download the latest firmware. could you provide me with a link? also, where can i download the two programs you mentioned? thanks for your help.

flip:

i primarily use shrink only. if shrink has trouble with the copy protection on the disc (rarely), i then rip with decrypter and use shrink. as stated above, when using both drives, the process takes between 2-3 hours. when using just the burner, the process takes about an hour.

thanks again, guys.

kevin t

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Kevin,

Let's go over your DVD burner's basics, Okie, Dokie ?

For that we'll have to turn on the TV to "The Wide Warped World of Sports," already in progress :)

First, to our sports announcer "ScubaPete" at the local ball field -

Hi folks, nice of you to join us -
    (hey ball boy, gimme a beer, "K" ?)

First up to bat this inning, our all star, ASPI- let's check his bio - ASPI likes to sandwich himself between the software and the burner, allowing fast and precise communication and smooth performance.

Here's some additional information about the ASPI layer –

http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

First we see if he'll join the lineup by way of Adaptec ASPI layer OR Nero ASPI.

Sometimes ASPI is reluctant to join so we may have to "Force" him by using "Force ASPI."

We'll find all of those links and some more information here -

http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

Once he's in place, it's good to check on ASPI, here's a good tool for just that, it's called ASPI Checker -

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...nguage=English+US&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

Taking a short break while a fan streaks the field, we're switching you to the All World Golf Tournament and ScubaPete 2 at the clubhouse -

(hey) "High Ball," (I mean,) Hi ya'all, Stupid-Pete, I mean ScubaPete are we set ready for Firmware ?

We'll be going out to the links (when I get anudder rink) to check our Firmware for our burner of choice -
    The Firmware, as we might remember, is our burner's tutor, keeping our DVD burner "twiked". It makes sure our burner can "speak" to as many different mfgrs of media as fast and precise as possible - We're always looking for the most recent upgrade -

To check on our firmware we'll need a little "tool" which we can get from here -

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also -

If you haven't gotten the proper firmware - back you go to get your upgrade - You cannot be without it -

Time to take a break from our sports broadcast and transfer you back to ScubaPete at the bar, . . . Huuuuummmm, ScubaPete, I say, ScubaPete . . . has anyone seen ScubaPete what, . . , wha . . he's under the wha . .

Sorry Ladies and Gentlemen, ScubaPete seems to be under the, ahhhhhh, the . .Ahhhhh, weather, yea, that's it, He's under the weather . . (Psssst, get you feet offin da ScubaPete's head, he won't be on the floor all nite . .

Someone ship him back to A/D, alrighty ?

Well folks, we've lost our signal but we hope your driver is all that it can be, . . . G'nite all –

Remember when looking for a guide with a personality, shop ScubaPete -

Cheers,

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  10. flip218

kgturner,

I don't know if Pete covered this ... but try to uninstall your secondary ide channel then reboot.

11. Noel

Noel Guest

Also, whenever things start to take a long time, make sure the drives are well defragged. Best to defrag after every 3 movies or so. XP is particularly bad at fragging my discs even though I followed some-ones advice here to create a 4Gb swapfile and forget the dynamic memory, it still happens.

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

kgturner,

One last thing that many overlook is their registry. Every time you install, uninstall or update proggys you leave files and sections of files all over your registry. If you let it go long enough it will severly bogg you down. Try this registry cleaner - it's free and you cannot beat that price with a stick -

http://www.download.com/3000-2094-881470.html?tag=list

Cheers,

Pete

13. kgturner

kgturner Member

thanks for all the advice, guys. i finally fixed the problem. i pulled the samsung drive out, moved the nec burner down to e: and purchased a pioneer dvr-108 for drive d:. i'll use the samsung in a htpc i'm building which should be completed by wednesday of next week. i guess the sammy was the problem because i'm encoding in the high 3000 kb/s now with the nec on drive e:

kevin t

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004