1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Quality scans ALWAS have errors....

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by weaponr97, Jul 9, 2007.

1. weaponr97

weaponr97 Guest

in the first 5 seconds.... I purchsased some Yuden DVDs still didnt help.... absolutely perfect after that.... what is causing this??

I have an external Kanguru drive, its actually an A-Open in the case....
    Using Nero to burn....

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

What kind of 'errors'? Does the disc play properly in your player?

3. weaponr97

weaponr97 Guest

PIE and FIE all in the first 5 seconds of the scan, makes the score go to a 20 or so.... no errors in the quality scan after that...

it plays, not the best due to the compression I suppose....

But why all the errors in the begginning, I have yet to burn a disk without them.... is it my external burner, should I call the company up ??

I can post a picture of the scan when I get home...

4. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Slow the drive read speed down and the errors will likely go away. Scanning at 1X is the most realistic way to determine errors, but it takes too long. Remember that the errors are not necessarily disc problems--they simply mean that the error correction circuits had to step in to make sense of the data coming from the disc. Very often it is a problem with the drive's inability to read very well. For example, scanning a disc at 1X, 4X, 8X, and 16X will give different numbers of errors and error profiles. Since the disc is the same, most of the differences are due to the drive (Except for a correlation with radial noise, imbalance, and a few other mechanical properties of the disc that manifest themselves during writing, too.)

I suspect that using a different drive or slowing down the one you have will reduce or eliminate the start up errors because they are probably in the drive and not on the disc. (If another drive in scan mode shows the same errors, it is also possible that there are true errors on the disc induced by the drive and not a fault of the disc. All discs have errors, and they get worse over time. Looking at error profiles is a good tool to determine the likely cause.)

5. weaponr97

weaponr97 Guest

I will slow down the speed on the drive on dvd when I get home, and post the pic..... It always spikes in the beggining no matter speed I read so far... Do you also mean try burning at a different speed too???

6. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Slowing down the playback ought to improve the error rates. Slowing down the recording typically reduces error rates but may increase jitter rates and long-term stability if the write strategy is not carefully adjusted for today's thinner, faster reacting coatings. It's usually safe to record a disc at half its rated speed rather than drop too low.

Another factor to consider is the signal sent to the computer through a USB connection at start-up. The software may be mistaking this interchange as error correction. Check the identical discs on an internal drive to see if the initial spike is still there. If not, it may be related to the USB connection. If it is, it may still be the result of USB connections, but during the recording stage. You may have to trouble shoot this situation, but the less likely problem would be the media themselves.

7. weaponr97

weaponr97 Guest

thanks you for all the replies, im really hoping to get this issue ironed out, I have been super busy lately and will be again tonight, not sure if I will be able to try a few of things out and post them again tonight, if not probably tm.... thanks for everything guys....