1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Quick Question on File Size

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by LordNorth, Jan 27, 2003.

1. LordNorth

LordNorth Member

I burnt a copy of a CD on a Sony burner and it came to well under 700mb, but I try to burn the same CD on a Panasonic burner and it comes to well over 700mb.

Is this the software not compressing as well, or is this the hardware in that the Panasonic is not capable of doing as good job, OR is this just a setting on my Panasonic that I need to change?

PLEASE HELP! I HAVE BEEN AT THIS FOR 8 HOURS NOW TODAY!!!!

Thanks!

Chris

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I assume you changed the extraction options, there is no reason otherwise. Please check them.

If you extracted with CDRWin, for instance, the image (.BIN) file size (in bytes) should be either 2352*N or 2048*N, depending upon you were exracting RAW or not. If you used CloneCD, this applies to the .IMG file. If you extracted with Nero, the size of the .NRG should be slightly bigger then that.

(N being the number of used sectors of the original CD that you were copying, of course)

3. LordNorth

LordNorth Member

Aldaco,

No, I didn't change anything (at least when I started - Now I have tried lowering some of the quality, but it doesn't change the size.. I guess that just changes the size of the data file on the computer, but it gets changed back when it lays the track on disk)

I downloaded and installed EAC. I still get 754mb for 74:46 of music (keep in mind that I am trying to compile tracks from two different CD's rather than do an image - I was able to combine the CD's on my brother's Sony burner so it is possible to do.)

Do some burners have longer lead-in/lead-out info that could be causing this?

Thanks for getting back to me!

Chris

Last edited: Jan 28, 2003
  4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

No, lead-in or lead-out are fixed quantities and they do not count for disk space (except when you overburn: in this case you force the burner to write data on the space reserved for the lead-out track).

Please note that the data you reported is OK (74:46 min music = 750 MB data in AUDIO format) and that you might be able to write it in a 74 min (= 650 MB data = 741 MB audio) with a little overburning.

Probably the difference lies in the fact that Sony displays the size in DATA format (that is, it multiplies 750 MB by 2048 and dividing by 2352, thus displaying more or less 653 MB) and Panasonic displays the size in the correct AUDIO format.

So... all is correct, just (over)burn and go!

5. LordNorth

LordNorth Member

Aldaco,

I tried to just go for it...

It went fine until it got to where it was saying that it was writing the Lead-Out and it hung and I got the error message:

"Write Error!
    Write Blocks:
    Illegal Mode for this track!"

When I try to put it in a player I don't have the 15th (final) track.

Next suggestion? Arrrgh!

Chris

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

It is strange. When the PC writes the lead-out tracks the CD has all the audio tracks already written on it.
    Once I tried to burn 'Pink Floyd - The Wall' (83 min) on a 80 min CD and the burner stopped when it was burning the Lead-Out. I put the CD on the CD Player and it worked. This because all Tracks info are in the Lead-IN. Once you arrive to the Lead-OUT, the CD is almost done and all tracks must be there!

Some questions:
    Are you sure the 15th track is OK? Did you see it burned? Can you play it from the layout screen? What does the .CUE shows at TRACK15? Is it an AUDIO track or a MODE1 track?

7. LordNorth

LordNorth Member

Aldaco,
    Doubt you care, but thought I would share anyway.
    I returned the Polaroid burner and picked up an I/O Magic burner.
    Problem solved. I just got the 77 minute disk to burn correctly.
    Guess that goes to show there are differences between burners.
    Thanks for the help!
    Chris

8. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

OK LordNorth, at least you found the solution. Probably Panasonic didn't support overburn ...