1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help regarding old Kazaa Lite software & recommendations

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by 51bigeasy, Jan 16, 2007.

1. 51bigeasy

51bigeasy Guest

Hello,
    I've just joined the afterdawn forums and need the benefit of the experience of you folks here. I enjoy lots of different music genre, everything from Chuck Berry to U2. So late in 2004 I looked around and decided to install something called KaZaALite (K++ Edition) ver2.1.0 because it didn't have all the ads and spyware the others had. PLUS it was simple and even someone with limited computer savvy like me could understand and make it work. Since getting it, it's worked great-period-(I had no complaints except I could never get any answers from their tech support people). BTW I run an older (2000) Micron Millenia w/ Pentium III, and WinXP Home, I just installed a new 160 GB HDD but that's the extent of my technical abilities.

For the last 3 months, I still have my KaZaALitedesktop icon, my shared folder with all my music; I can still do a search but NEVER get any results. So I have to beleive something is "screwed" with the software. My questions are 1)is there anyway to fix the KazaaLite version I have; 2) should I instead be looking around for a replacement P2P program; 3) will a new program allow me to keep my old "library" of music and integrate it with the new stuff; and most importantly 4) will someone please recommend a P2P to me and tell me why they recommended it.

This "old dog" will really appreciate the benefit of all of the suggestions I recieve, (I before e except, ah screww it!)

Thanks,
    51bigeasy

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

While Kazaa Lite was a great program, it's rather dated and I'm not sure if it's even supported anymore which would explain your search results. Have a look at Frostwire, updated on a regular basis, been around a while, easy to use, good search results. You won't lose your shared folder unless its contents are specific to Kazza (shouldn't be) and it will integrate into the Frostwire library.

3. 51bigeasy

51bigeasy Guest

Thank You Mistycat!
    First...in 3 months of searching for Kazaa information you're the first person to even answer a posting on a number of message boards I've posted.

I will explore Frostwire immediately.
    Do you know if I can update my Kazaa Lite version? When searching the internet there seem to be an awful lot of people saying they're Kazaa - but I hear so much about "beware of fakes!" And when I google it I find a site that ends in a ".tk" suffix - Lord knows what that means!

Anyway, thank you again Mistycat for taking the time to respond to my question. Any other problems I'll be back at you.
    best regards,
    51bigeasy

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

No, I don't know about Kazza Lite and updating it, I thought I read it was discontinued but I may be wrong. Between Kazza, Kazza Lite and all the payware clones, it was hard to find even a few years back. Edit, see here: http://www.zeropaid.com/programs/downprg.php?id=91

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  5. 51bigeasy

51bigeasy Guest

Thanks again Mistycat,

I've spent some time reviewing the FAQ's and screenshots for FrostWire and it seems to be pretty intuitive, and similar enough to KazaaLite that even I shouldn't mess it up too badly!

I also checked out a lot of KazaaLite and Kazaa Resurrection literature via the filesharingplace link you sent me. And dwelled a little while on the RIAA or RAII articles and court decrees. (BTW-Thanks for the lesson and the link to filesharingplace - it's already in my favorites index under "reference sites.") Assuage my paranoia a bit would you Mistycat? Here's my nightmare...all I want is the occasional piece of music. This morning I'm reading that, not only might my "need for music" result in RIAA cops busting down my door, but also I could easily contract "terminal viruses!" I keep my anti virus, spyware and firewall utilities tweeked all the time. How much paranoia is a good thing re: the dreaded RIAA? It might be comical - but costly - to one day have the experience of being led away in handcuffs & shackles all because I wanted a recording of Fats Domino's "Blueberry Hill!" (And I look crappy in horizontal stripes!)

Thanks again MK - I think we can close this thread out after your response.

6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

With Kazaa Lite not being updated, it's time to move on to something that is and Frostwire is very easy to use. But, if you don't like it, there are lots of others. Have a look at Peer Guardian while you're downloading, a kind of p2p firewall that blocks known ip's that report to the RIAA, MPAA, not 100% but you'll be amazed by how many you see. Here: http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/ As far as malware, I can honestly say that I've never seen one in 3 1/2 years of downloading many hundreds of music and video files, mostly video. Your anti virus should jump on them first if you open them and don't run any exe filess but I don't think you'll even see them in audio, mostly xxx I think. Edit: spelling

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  7. 51bigeasy

51bigeasy Guest

Thanks again!

Boy, this is like having a real conversation with someone. Usually I write to a forum, go back every day hoping for a "letter"....and don't get any responses.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Til then, thanks a bunch Mistycat.
    bigeasy

8. 51bigeasy

51bigeasy Guest

If Mistycat or someone else is out there reading this....
    At MC's suggestion I went to the Frostwire site and attempted to download Frostwire. (I even donated to the frostwire cause thinking they deserve it if I get back sharing shortly!)

When I attempted to download after contributing nothing happened. Seriously.

So I refreshed the website and when I clicked on download, it brought me to the same page but this time instead of going through donations again, I clicked on No, I don't care. Well, the file seemed to download correctly, but when I went to run/install Frostwire I got a popup box that said ...the installer was corrupted or I had a virus and I should try to contact the developer.
    Huh??????????
    So, just to be sure I made sure I had the latest Java JRE (whatever that is) and tried it again. With the same results. Can't download unless I tell them I'm not interested in donating, and when the file finishes downloading and Igo to RUN it, I get the same message that the installer is corrupted and to contact the developer.
    So, I'm fairly well screwed with Frostwire I guess.
    Any suggestions anybody?
    Thanks,
    51bigeasy

9. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Sorry, never heard of that and I've used that site, probably 10 times and selecting I don't care is correct. Maybe, try it again from another site and if you suspect a virus you can run a free online scan with Panda Activescan or Trend Micro Housecalls. And, if you don't have one, get an antivirus program; there are several free ones. If Frostwire won't install and there is nothing to delete, then, I don't know. Another program you might look at is LimeWire (or emule - good music selection). Exactly the same look, same developers in fact. BTW, that site for PeerGuardian seems to be down, hopefully it's just a server issue.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  10. 51bigeasy

51bigeasy Guest

Thanks again Mistycat,
    I contacted the "developer" for Frostwire and they didn't realize that they had some "issues" when folks using "IE" went to their site. (Apparently their coding for Internet Explorer caused parts of their website to 'overlay' other parts).
    He couldn't be sure that this was what caused my download failure but he was good enough to send me a separate link, which enabled me to get the download successfully.
    You're right - Frostwire is great. Fast and intuitive. I can't thank you enough for the recommendation MC! If I can ever repay the favor - let me know.
    Best regards,
    51 bigeasy

11. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Glad you like it but I see Phoenixlab's main site is still duwn although PeerGuardian is still updating. If you do experience any problem's, another option is Protowall. But, don't install both together.