1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help required on p2p software development!

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by dawall, Apr 2, 2007.

1. dawall

dawall Member

Hello Everyone!

I'm a final semester CSE student who is interested in developing a p2p software as my final project.I definitely know the theory behind it and how it is suppose to work.But it would be really helpful if I get some kind of guidelines,or a step by step procedure to go about it from you experienced programmers.
    Also,Is it possible to stream video and audio files on a p2p network?If yes,then how??

Looking forward for a favorable response!

Thank you!

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Not only are the chances of finding any programmers here slim *considering most of the idiots here don't even know how to use google, i feel that's an understatement*, the chance of finding anyone willing to help you are even slimmer.

Also, since you seem to have little to no knowledge about this at all *since first you are claiming you know the theory, yet ask for a step by step procedure and/or guideline, and your mention of streaming, which has nothing to do with P2P principals*, i am very sceptical about your intentions, and the validity of your statement.

Also, i take it you mean you're a Computer Science and Engineering student when you mention CSE ?
    Last i heard, your project needs to consist of original coding, which would be kind of hard if taking a roadmap for a P2P or BT protocol.

3. dawall

dawall Member

Okay,from the reply which I got,I understand that there are not many programmers out here.

Also that,in a p2p network,streaming of A/V files is not possible.

This makes me more curious,alright,one can use a P2P network to obtain IP addresses.Once this is done isn't it possible to establish a TCP connection between the 2 nodes and stream A/V files?If required,that is!

Yes,I do mean that I am a Computer Science and Engineering Student.But the problem with me is that I am just so uncertain about how to go about this project.May be if I just get a good start I will definitely make it right,by the end of the semester.And let me tell you that I don't have much time left!!

Talking about original coding,Yes.I would definitely be original.My own variables,my own functions,how I use them and when I use them.What I was expecting was you to tell me "What to do in this step" and its up to me "How to do it".

Would love to hear more comments from all and waiting for help.

4. CD82

CD82 Member

hey man you might try planetsourcecode.com

they have some step by step guidelines on there

i know when i did some programing in vb 6 i always looked there

what are you programing this in what language??

5. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Well, since you mentioned the end of the semester is getting near, i suggest you look for another subject for your final project, because P2P protocols take months, if not years to properly develop.
    And there's the problem that you obviously haven't done any background research on this.
    I suggest you have a look at these :
    Bittorrent Protocol
    Gnutella P2P Protocol
    FastTrack Protocol
    Napster
    WinMX
    Edonkey *AKA ED2K*
    Kademlia P2P Overlay Protocol

You see the problem with your question is that you :
    A) don't specify WHICH P2P protocol you wish to use
    B) don't have enough time left to rewrite any of the available protocols effectively enough for them to qualify for your final CSE project, so you would have to do it all over again
    C) probably don't know enough about each of the possible languages used to write new versions of these established protocols, which would lead back to B)
    D) the implementation of streaming would defeat the purpose of most of the P2P protocol usage, with the exception of videogames and software

In the end, i say you should pick another topic for your final project, but hey, if you really want to waste time and end up losing another year being in school, go right ahead.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2007
  6. dawall

dawall Member

Thanks a lot to CD82 and especially to The_Fiend.

With your help I have realized that it is definitely going to take me a long time(really long) to understand all of the mentioned protocols and to rewrite any of them.

For now I will definitely go through the topics suggested by you and the website planetsourcecode.com(even though I have gone through it before).

If p2p doesn't work out too well for me,I guess I will have to carry my project out on a smaller scale eg. Intranet file transfer using a Client-Server architecture.

If you have any ideas which could be big enough to be called as final projects and small enough to carry out in 2 months time,then please do let me know.

I was thinking of using Java as my programming language.

Always welcoming your ideas and comments.

7. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

2 months ?
    Keep dreaming.
    As for intranets, been there, done that.

You could try a final project on Vista bugs, there's about 200 still in there that have NOT been made public, or found by Microsoft.
    Or try writing up your own browser, can be done in any language.

8. dawall

dawall Member

Thanks a lot for your help.I shall check it out!