1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help setting up new network in home using switch and powerline hardware

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by saulat_99, Sep 2, 2011.

1. saulat_99

saulat_99 Regular member

Running into a small problem since I have moved into my new home. I had fiber optic and a wireless modem at my old apartment and ran internet upstairs through the Rocket fish powerline. This was a bridge to go into the power outlets and a 4 port switch upstairs from the outlets. Now that I have moved I had to give the wireless router back and switched internet to a cable provider. I purchased a basic 4 port switch today from best buy so that I could run the modem into the switch and have it go into the computer next to it and at the same time into the rocketfish bridge so I can run it to another room of the house. When I do this my xbox and computer in the other room cannot connect. If I remove the switch from best buy it runs through the rocket fish powerline fine and I can connect, however I can't connect the computer by the modem without the additional switch.

Is there a problem with going from a modem to a switch, to a bridge, and back to another switch? Thanks for any help. I am getting a free wireless router in a few weeks but the powerline just works so well I want to continue with it.

Oh, I should add that the powerline bridge is plugged into a powerstrip, this worked at the apartment so I don't see a problem with doing it now.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  2. saulat_99

saulat_99 Regular member

I took the switch back. Maybe a more basic question would help. Is a bridge much different than a router? What is appropriate network structure when working with switches, bridges, routers, and modems? Thanks again!