1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help silly redneck woman can't use dvd-shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by lylith, Apr 21, 2005.

1. lylith

lylith Member

I just got a new comp it came with a dvd burner and i wanted to start burning knowing that there are copy protectors on the dvds so i looked up ways of getting around them.. I came across the dvd shrinker and installed it... some where i bleeped up... i have sonic record now on my comp and after i did the whole shrinker thing i tried burning it to a hard drive but where it says decryption status during encoding stage it says not encrypted and when i try to open it in sonic record now it wont open only has the files for audio and title???/ what the hell am i doing wrong? It says you need nero but here it says it doesnt so what the heck do i use and should i install nero?? is there an easier way? email me at noemailsallowed@afterdawn.com

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hi Redneck Girl!! :)

Welcome to AD!!

See that first link in my signature? Click on that and follow the first guide there. It has pictures and everything so you don't even have to know how to read to much :) I know how you rednecks are ;-) LOL I am just kiddin anyway if you follow that guide you will have no problems I promise. You will only need to download and install the newest version of DVD Decrypter which is also free :)..

psst... Edit your email out of your post. It's not allowed here ;-)

3. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

@lylith

ok several things.........

if i were you i would start off with, DVDShrink and DVDDecypter
    they are free and both great programs, and will work together
    if you set them up....you have several choices on that...

try what bbmayo suggested............

ok on to other things........
    this is from my exp, with Sonic Record Now...
    this program SUCKS, even though it came with your computer..
    it was having conflicts with my computer,and DVDShrink/DVDDecypter
    just my opinion, but i would try the above two programs before
    i got involved with NERO stuff.........

first thing you need to do is go into Record Now, and turn things
    off, beause it will try to hold on to other imformation when
    your backing up your dvd's..............

ok you need 1.open up Record 2.click on options,it's the wrench
    in the top right hand corner 3. uncheck all boxes you see
    4. then check mark the last box, on the bottom, that says
    Don't Remember pending projects when Record Now Exits
    5. that will(should) stop Record Now From, conflicting with
    what your trying to do ...........................

i haven't had any problems since, i did that..
    i have totally removed Record Now from my computer, as said
    it's a suck program.....................the only reason you
    might need it is to burn cd's, but there are others out there

hope we could help
    good day...........
    free.............

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Let's ease up on the language a bit - it may be too much for all the non-rednecks here ;)

5. lylith

lylith Member

sorry bout the language i was in a very irratable mood!!! I finally got the dvd shrink to work and burned a couple of dvds but then i tried to play them and they started skipping about 10 mins in to the movies...... could it be the type of dvds i used (MAXELL) or maybe my dvd player... as for burning with sonic record now what else can i use? does dvd shrink burn? if so how cause i cant seem to find a way... thanks crystal

6. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Download the newest version of DVD Decrypter, available at

http://www.dvddecrypter.com

Go to either Pete's Guide or bbmayo's guide that are listed in my sig.
    Follow the instructions on burning with these programs. DVD Decrypter will rip the newest protected movies, Shrink has not been updated and will only handle older movies. You will then compress/encode with DVD Shrink (this prog does not burn) and then burn with DVD Decrypter or Nero if you have that program. Maxell disks should be fine as long as your burner firmware is up to date.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  7. hogan

hogan Regular member

Best guide on earth: Scuba Pete's Guide,

Courtesy of Scuba Pete's Guide, the one I learned from, Thanx Pete

Quote:First, create a folder for your HD backup work. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it (i.e.C:\All My DVD Work\Dumb and Dumber Meet the Parents Out for a Kill get Eaten Alive.)

To be sure we don't miss a setting and that all steps are followed EXACTLY-

Why not PRINT THIS GUIDE OUT NOW !

(So much easier to work with don't Ya know -)

Next, lets get DVD Decrypter setup so it can burn in the background after DVD Shrink has done its thing - Ya ready ?? Yea, I knew you were :) Right-o, open up DVD Decrypter and under "Mode" select "ISO, Write". "un-tick"the box that says "Verify". Where it says Source", you'll leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file automatically. Lastly, where it says "]Destination", select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it. ("Gee willikers Mr. Bill, I'm tired already - this is truly a lot of work." (Lol);)

Next, open DVD Shrink, you have the latest version of DVD Shrink so click "Edit", then click Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size]" as "Custom" and set the size no higher than 4360MB - If your blank discs aren't the best, drop your size to around 4300MB. We do this to make extremely sure that our disc isn't too large AND that we're not burning to the very edge of the disc. Then under the "File I/O" tab "un-tick "Enable burning with Nero" then click "OK".

Place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive. If you have only a single drive, begin by placing your original in the drive first - When it necessary to put your blank in, you will be prompted to do so. DO USE; Phillips, RiData, Sony, TDK, Ritek G04, Verbatim DataLife, Verbatim DataLife Plus, media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO", Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Other media could cause unnecessary errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video burning. Now is definitely not the time to put your, "Boy did I save money buying this crappy cheap stuff." in - )

Now let's open DVD Shrink and "click' "Open Disk". We'll have to wait anywhere from 30-seconds to a minute for DVD Shrink to analyze (rip) your DVD. We'll just "Chill" while this "Puppy" does it's thing -

Ya ready ? Let's burn that DVD.Today we're doing a total backup, that's all the things on the original disc. There's no problem in doing this as long as we do not see any "Red" on the size bar at the top, right-hand area of DVD Shrink's program. (If you should see some "Red" there, on the size bar, simply "Un-tick" any foreign languages like Bovine Slobber Jaw, Saturn Ring Worrble, Director's comments or DTS sound boxes until the "Red" disappears.) With no "Red" visible on the size bar we just let the "Automatic" (Default) settings alone. THEN we select "Backup". Take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter" . Now, under "Quality Settings", if it's SPEED you're after, "un-tick" the box which says, "Perform deep analysis" and "un-tick" the box for "Compress the video with high quality adaptive error compensation". This will give you acceptable DVD backup. If it's QUALITY you're after and have some extra time to spend, "tick" Perform deep analysis" before backup to improve quality AND "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation." There you may adjust quality enhancements. Practicing with the settings can produce even better end products. For a no-frills DVD's like "Pirates of the Caribbean" I like Extra Smooth BUT for DVD's with a lot of special effects like Matrix Revolutions, I use the Extra Sharp setting. That's for me, you'll have to decide what you like :) If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original. Finally, where it says "Select target image file", browse till you find your created folder for your backup and click "Save". That's it ! Click "OK" and DVD Shrink begins the process that burns that ISO image to your HD. What that means is DVD Shrink then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD. Now this is IMPORTANT - Don't use your PC for anything at all while she's working.

I'M NOT KIDDING ! STAND BACK FROM THE COMPUTER !

Just chill and watch some "tube" for awhile and when she's done working, she'll let you know, heh, heh -

Hey, I've got to get going - I want to pick up a DVD to watch tonight from Block Buster's- Just give me a holler when you get done and "catch me up" on how it all turned out, OK ?

Kweel, Chat with you later -

When you need a guide with a with warped personality and a misguided sense of reality, shop ScubaPete :p)

- THANKS FOR CHOOSING A SCUBAPETE GUIDE -

hogan

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

9. arniebear

arniebear Active member

10. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Browser problem

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  11. squizzle

squizzle Active member

you get 'em Arnie.
    I totally agree. It came with my burner and I've been having nothing but problems with it when burning movies. Like you said Freedom, it works fine with CD's but everything else sucks.

12. hogan

hogan Regular member

arniebear,
    Sorry bout that. Just got happy with copy/paste. Just trying to help one in need.I think most everyone here learned from scuba pete's guide.
    hogan

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  13. arniebear

arniebear Active member

It's okay hogan, you are right Scuba Pete's guide is great.

14. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I'm going to add some pictures to them pretty soon. Especially that part where he explains how to make a folder:
    hehe...