1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help..skipping movies

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by nikee7773, Mar 5, 2005.

1. nikee7773

nikee7773 Member

I hope someone can help me...i am new to burning my dvds. I have the newest version of dvd shrink. When I play the movies back, sometimes it pauses and disrupts the movie...how the heck do i fix this problem..thanks in advance for the help

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Usually a high quality media/ and 4x or slower burn speed,or a combination of both.

What brand/format/and speed of blank media are you burning? Example fuji +8x

How fast are you burning them?

Are you multi-tasking?

Are you using paper-stick on labels?

Are these issues on a stand alone player? they usually are.

3. nikee7773

nikee7773 Member

sony +8x how do i change the speed..i just have it however it is on dvd shrink, i have not changed any of the original settings. sometimes i am on the net, does that affect the burning? and yes, it is a stand alone player. After it downloads, do i keep using dvd shrink or do i open up nero and burn from there? I really appreciate the advice.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

You sound like you are trying to burn a backup copy that same way I do.

1) sony +8x: Look at them closer,they should be sony +1x-8x,pretty good media,and some of them are yuden000-t02's. These will burn at 16x.

2)Don't know what speed you set at: I have to watch my burn settings especially on these sony's. I can burn them at 16x if I leave my settings on max. Use 4x,if your burner's firmware will allow you.

Just after you click on the dvd shrink's backup tab on top, You come to your backup options tab. On the furthest right,this is where you set the target speed. Set it on 4x,very safe,and better compatability on stand alone player-better playback,and fewer errors.You may have it set on max,bit no no especially on these newer 8x speed media.

3) Multi-tasking can interfere with your backup copies during any part of the dvd backup process. I shut off my internet,and turn everything off in the background to help prevent those issues. Dvd shrink will use 100% of your processor,anything that turns on may affect it. Best to turn everything off,and leave your pc alone.

4) lets hope you are not using paper labels, sharpies do just fine,and inkjet pritable media and printer are ok.

I burn my backups right away,therefore, Open up dvd shrink/edit/preferences/ go to file I/O tab and tick the box for "enable burn with nero".

Heavy compression can cause problems, I use mostly main movie only and cut out extra beginning and ending credits to reduce compression.Shrinks enhancements help on those larger movies,slower,but look better.

Try to make a backup using reauthor/then click backup.
    On that backup options page, leave your backups ticked for region free/burn settings 4x/make a new folder for your new backup in case you want to make extra copies. The main thing you want is your burner drive set for the backup target.

Double check those burn settings,those sony +1x-8x will fly.

5. nikee7773

nikee7773 Member

in the drop down box for burn settings, it only has max and 16x...no 4x Which one would be better? Also, If i click on reauthour and then drag only the main movie over, would that help the skipping problem? I really appreciate your help.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey nikee, Looks like you don't have much adjustment for your burn speed.You definitely don't want 16x,and if you leave it on max,you may still get 16x.

Do you have dvd decrypter on your pc. It works great with dvd shrink and also has a burn engine?
    It's free,and nice to have several rippers and burn engines to choose from.

We need to get that burn speed down. If you still have your folder for the movie on your hard drive,try to make another copy:

Open up dvd shrink
    Open files
    choose your movie
    Backup-since this is your outgoing files,shrink does not have to to the enhancements. See if it will let you reduce that burn speed this way. If it doesn't exit out,try another 4x media like maxell.

I keep my speed at 4x no matter what media I use,but on my backup pc, it doesn't have many burn options. Therefore I stick with 4x verbatim and 4x maxell's.
    My backup pc is set up with just 1 optical drive,when I want to make another copy from my hard drive,I do have more burn options than on the first copy.

Also leave off the internet,turn everything off you don't need.

Major compression can cause this,on those huge movies,re-author-main movie only,and cut out anything else you can like beginning and ending credits.

You might have to get +4x media. I highly recommend maxell +4x. Maxell is about the only brand that won't allow me to burn faster than 4x. Very good manufactures for them as well.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  7. nikee7773

nikee7773 Member

Thanks for all the help. I am going to try it today. I really appreciate it. I did the spongebob movie yesterday with reauthor and main movie only and it did not seem to be skipping.