1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help splitting avi files with VirtualDub

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Deviant79, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Deviant79

Deviant79 Member

Forgive me if this question's already been aswered somewhere in these forums (I did run a forum search and din't find anything) or if this question has a blatantly obviuos answer that I'm just missing. I just used VirtualDub to split a large .avi file (according to these instructions: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/cut_avi_with_virtualdub.cfm ), but whenever I try to play either of the resulting split files my entire computer freezes up. Any help anyone could offer on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Original Filesize? Final Filesize(s)?
    2. Codec used?
    3. System specs? Did you have problems playing the original file before you cut it?

3. Deviant79

Deviant79 Member

The original filesize is 655MB. Each resulting split file is about 327.5 MB each.

I actually don't remember what codecs I installed or where I got them. A few weeks back I had been having different problems playing avi files, and downloaded a codec pack that was suggested on DivX.com. For the life of me I can't seem to find that codec pack anymore. I do remember having downloaded and ran the BigFix pack and the FFDShow decoder (if that helps any).

Forgive my naivety as I'm still kinda new to all this, but exactly which specs do you need to know?

I haven't (and still don't) have any problems playing the original file. I have however started seeing this same problem occur with other avi files I've since acquired (without having anything to do with the VirtualDub program).

Thanks alot for your help. I really appreciate it.

4. Deviant79

Deviant79 Member

Ok scratch that. I just tried playing the original file agian just to make sure, and now it too was freezing the pc (it wasn't before). On a whim, I attempted playing it on my Windows Media Player (I've been using the DivX player). When I tried playing the split files on WMP a few days ago, I got the same results as with the DivX Player, but now the files play just fine on WMP. Odd. Oh well; if you can still offer any suggestions as to what to do about playing on the DivX Player, that'd be much appreciated; but since I can play the files now on WMP, I'm happy. Again, thanks for your help.