1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help! swapmagic 3.3

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by boud108, Mar 30, 2005.

1. boud108

boud108 Member

I've just currently gotten smd 3.3 and I'm having trouble getting back-up games to work.. I've tried using Dvd Decripter and Alcohol 120 to burn these games (slow speed and that dao thingy) then I put in my swap magic dvd or cd, I open the lid and it says insert bigger TOC and i am assuming that means that back-up and hit load,The game spins and makes alot of noise but doesn't load the game I wanna play (devil may cry 3) Oh yeah and My ps2 is a Slimline and its USA ver
    Can someone help me out? I'm new to this thing and I am getting stressed lol

2. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

'Insert bigger TOC' is referring to an original game, which is bigger than your backup you are trying to load.

So basically, if you backup disc is like 2gb in size, then you need to use an original game that is more than 2gb in size as the TOC refresher. After you insert the TOC refreshing game and the ps2 senses it, then you use your swap method to load your backup disc.

3. boud108

boud108 Member

well that helped me but now "Insert your own program disc " appears.. I dunno if that means the back-up or not.. but i tried the back-up anyways and it said invalded :(

4. boud108

boud108 Member

nevermind about my last question.. but i got a new one, what programs do I use when it says insert program? since I must be doing somethign wrong since the game just makes noises when i put it in.Anyone know what I am doin wrong?

5. pretense

pretense Regular member

lol!

You *do* know that in addition to have the Swap Magic discs, you need to have your PStwo tape-modded or switch/plug-modded, right? It's not enough to just pop in the Swap Magic discs on a retail PStwo and pray that backups will somehow work ;)

That is why you are getting the "Insert bigger TOC disc" message. The Swap Magic discs always show that when your PStwo is completely unmodified. I don't really feel like explaining how to modify your PStwo to make it swap-compliant, so ask dragulaAC or someone else to explain in detail.

6. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

hahaa..fakes the pass, and hands it off!!

Yah, if your using a slimline, along with SwapMagic discs you need to slightly mod your system. A stock system will not boot backups with SwapMagic. You can use a few different methods such as: a replacement fliptop cover, slimtool, or 'tape mod'.

Basically the problem with the slimline is there are 2 sensors inside that let the pstwo know when you open the 'stock' fliptop to switch discs. So SwapMagic won't work unless you prevent it from recognizes the swap.

7. boud108

boud108 Member

well i installed the slim tool with it,after I refresh TOC the load screen, video mode pops up and it says at the bottom "Insert your own program disc"

8. pretense

pretense Regular member

If you're still getting the "Insert TOC" message after modifying your PStwo, that means your tool is not installed properly and both sensors are not being depressed; in essence, your console is still "stock." I got the same message myself when I tried (and failed) to straw-mod my system when I first got it.

By the way, you don't need any TOC-refreshes with the Swap Magic 3.3 set, nearly all games work with a straight swap.

9. boud108

boud108 Member

oh cool, thanks.. :( now i gotta play around with the little tools i keep dropping