1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help !!!! This one has me stumped

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bri18, Mar 22, 2005.

1. bri18

bri18 Member

I have a liteon 411 dvd burner. this was burning at 4x untill last week. Now it is burning at 1x and fails to burn most DVD's. I've gotten to may coasters trying to firgure it out.

I have:
    checked for firmware - none avalible
    checked the IDE settings - set on ultra dma
    uninstalled and reinstalled DVD drive and IDE hardware

I'm useing Nero 6 burning rom

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  2. dumbfuker

dumbfuker Member

Hi bri,

Not to belabor the point or question your capabilities, but when you say you "reinstalled the IDE hardware", do you mean that you uninstalled the Secondary IDE Channel in Device Manager, rebooted, changed it to DMA if available and then rebooted once again? If that's what you did, I apologize. If you didn't do those in that order, you could give it a try. It has always worked for me in the past when similar slow-downs have occured. I've also seen folks suggest checking the BIOS settings, but unless you've been mucking around in there, I can't imagine they would have changed by themselves.

Regards,

DF

3. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

How old is your burner? There is a firmware update for the LiteOn 411 that I flashed mine with a month or two ago. If you can't find it I will see if I can find it for you when I return home this weekend.
    The firmware version is FSOK and you can find it here. http://www.americal.com/pg/dvd-burner-compat.html
    Good Luck,
    HW.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  4. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Have you changed media recently? I know I changed to a different media once and I could only burn at 4x in my 8x burner. I had to update the firmware. I know you said there was no firmware updates for your drive, but if you recently changed media, that could do it.

5. bri18

bri18 Member

I'm useing the same media as before. The Liteon web site does not have an update but I will try the link you left. The burner is about 1.5 years old.

Thanks

6. bri18

bri18 Member

Hi Dumbfuker,

That is exactly what I did. The Secondary IDE was already set to dma before I did it, but I thought it could not hurt.

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Is your burner configured to master or slave?

Is it the only device on that IDE channel?

If it isn't, try disconnecting the other device, setting the burner to master, uninstall the IDE channel and reinstall.

\if this cures it, then reinstall the other device and see what happens.

8. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Hi Bri,
    Just a thought, when you say that your media was burning at 4X and now only burns at 1X, do you mean that Nero no longer allows you to select 4x in the pre-burn dialogs?

Or is it that you can select 4x in Nero, but the burn time you get is equivalent to a 1X burn?

9. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling Nero? I had a buffer problem that caused a "4x" burn to take half an hour. Uninstalling and reinstalling Nero did it for me.

Also, is that a LDW-411S burner? That's the model I have and it came bundled with Sonic RecordNow DX. Are you using an OEM copy of Nero or a purchased copy?

10. sadsac

sadsac Guest

One other thought:

Is the media you're using from the same spindle? If you bought the same NAMED media and it's from a different spindle, it could very well be manufactured by a different company.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2005
  11. bri18

bri18 Member

ok sorry it took so long to get back, it was a long day.

I reinstalled nero and it still does not allow me to select anything other than 1x for burn speed. the drive is the only device on the ide cable but it is run to a pci controller card. this was to allows for faster data transmission and was working great untill just recently. I already checked and the controller card is working fine.

The drive is the 411s that came packaged with Sonic. I downloaded nero as I like it a lot better than sonic which is very limited.

The media was off the same spindle as well.

12. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I think Higgs may have an answer. I thought you meant your burner was only burning at 1x. From your post, it looks like you simply can't select 4x in Nero.

13. baabaa

baabaa Active member

What make and brand of PCI adapter is it?

I would disconnect it and connect it to your main IDE on your motherboard to rule out a controller issue on the PCI adapter..............

14. bri18

bri18 Member

it's a promise pci adaptor, I have already ruled it out as you mentioned.

15. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Sounds to me like Nero is unable to retrieve the media burn speed list from the drive's f/w. As Bri says, he has had the same problem when the drive was connected to a mobo IDE connector, so this leaves two possiblities that I can think of.

1. Drive f/w is corrupted. The answer here would be to reflash the f/w, as it's a Litey all of the tools for this are easily available on the net.

2. The mobo chipset drivers are corrupted, this would cause problems with both the on-board connectors and his add-on card as the drivers mediate transfer in both cases. Easily cured with a chipset driver re-install.

It is important to find out which of the above is the problem, because you do not want to attempt flashing the drive if your chipset drivers are corrupt, you may end up trashing the drive.

An easy way to check which of the above scenarios is likely would be to try the drive in another PC. If Nero reads the burn speeds correctly, then it's probably chipset problems on the other PC. If Nero cannot read the burn table on the second PC, then the drive f/w is suspect.

16. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

17. bri18

bri18 Member

Higgsbsun

Would it stand to reason that if my other cdr drive burns at the correct speed than the mobo drivers are not corrupt?

18. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Have you tried any other burning programs to see how they do? DVD Decrypter is a free one.

19. rgar11

rgar11 Member

try defraging the hard drive it has worked for me

20. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What brand of media is it your using? and how long have you had that spindle?