1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP TMPGEnc won't open my AVI File!

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by B0SS, Mar 5, 2003.

1. B0SS

B0SS Member

HELP TMPGEnc won't open my AVI File!

It says file cannot be opened or is unsuported. I don't no why.. its an AVI file..

Also I get this error on some of my files:

The resolution of the video is illegal. :-\

2. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

Go into environmental settings and change the priority settings for the avi reader, or Direct Multimedia File Reader.

That should solve the problem.

Paul.

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

The output resolution of an mpeg video must be a multiple of 8. For example, 352x288 = 352/8 = 44 and 288/8 = 36. What happened here is that, you loaded the input file into TMPGEnc and the avi had a bad resolution for mpeg but TMPGEnc will automatically take the resolution from the input source! There is a quick fix though. Click the Load button and navigate to the folder TMPGEnc is in, now open the template folder.

If you want to create VCD, there are 3 files to choose from. They are...

VideoCD(NTSC).mcf
    VideoCD(NTSCFILM).mcf
    VideoCD(PAL).mcf

If you live in North America or Japan, then double click VideoCD(NTSC).mcf. This will give an output of

MPEG-1(VideoCD), 352x240, 29.97fps(frames per second), CBR 1150kbit/s , Audio: Mpeg-1 Layer 2 44100hz 224kbit/s. That will play back in an NTSC VCD compatible standalone.

If you live in Europe Or Austrailia then double click VideoCD(PAL).mcf. This will give you an output of

MPEG-1(VideoCD), 352x288, 25fps(frames per second), CBR 1150kbit/s , Audio: Mpeg-1 Layer 2 44100hz 224kbit/s. That will play back in an PAL VCD compatible standalone.

Just to Note:: The only difference between NTSC and NTSC FILM is that NTSC film has a framerate of 23.97fps, which you usually see on divx!

Anyway, whichever one of them you want to choose, that should solve the problem with the resolution!

EDIT: Just forgot to say aswell that in future, click file - project wizard and work through that and it will be much easier!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2003