1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!! Used Backitup, now i can't restore all my memories and important data

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Aoviper28, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Aoviper28

Aoviper28 Member

I used nero backitup a few weeks back to back up my entire hard drive. 50+ gig's of information including 3 years of pictures and video's of family, friends and my kids.

I restored it multiple times on the original machine it came from, but everytime i did, i was unable to access the file. Either the file was "0 kb" or it was something like "This is not a valid win32 app" or something like that. I really want my pictures, video's and music back. I could care less about any programs it backed up. I just want the IMPORTANT stuff.

Im NOT versed in Nero whatsoever, this is actually the first time i've ever owned the software. So if anyone could help me with the DUMMY version of what i need to do in order to get my files back i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time and help
    Chris

2. Aoviper28

Aoviper28 Member

Is there anyone out there that can help? I'd really love to get my files back if at all possible.

3. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

did you backup all your files on a separate HDD?

What happened to the original files?

4. Guyy

Guyy Newbie

the error message you're getting means that a file/program is either corrupt or missing or incompatible.

If you've backed up your entire hard drive, you'll need to restore the data to an empty hard drive in the same computer system. Hence, avoiding incompatibilty/file missing/file corrupt issues.

what nero version are you using?

Assumming you're using nero7, You can download a nero7 backitup2 user guide/help file from here

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  5. Aoviper28

Aoviper28 Member

I dont have that same hard drive anymore. I backed it up to a second hard drive, whiped the original, transferred the back ups to an external and installed the new drives. Now isnt a back up also for if you have hardware failure? So if you have hardware failure, and your HD goes, and you need to back up your files and restore them to a new drive afterwards... Then what? That doesnt make much sense to me, since i thought back up's where fail-safe's.

6. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

let me see if i understand, you backed up to a second HD, then from that second HD you transfered them to an 3rd HD(external).
    so you have your backed up files on an external HD, and when you connect that to your PC now you get that error?

Are you using nero to try and recover the backed up files?

Have you tried just using windows and the drag and drop way to get your data files, and not use nero?

i am not familiar with the nero bacitup program seeing i have never used it, i will try it out and see what happens.

What OS are you using? XP?

7. Guyy

Guyy Newbie

This is true of course, if you've only backed up a HD that has no operating system on it. In which case, you simply need to use the restore wizard to restore the data to your new HD.

But if you've backed up a complete HD (including your Windows operating system,hardware configurations, drivers and data), then you'll need to use the restore wizard to restore the whole data onto an empty HD in the same computer system.

8. Aoviper28

Aoviper28 Member

So in other words there's no retreiving the data then? Yes im using win XP pro still. Its not the same installation as on the original PC. And no i no longer have the original PC unfortunately. I do have a blank hard drive i could use but i dont have the same hardware configuration in the new PC as i did in the old. Is there ANY possible way to get any of that information back. I just want the pictures to be honest, the MP3's and video's can all go. The pictures are my main interest.

9. Aoviper28

Aoviper28 Member

So thats it i guess? :( This sucks, I hate Nero now! How come it doesnt say you MUST restore the files to the same hard drive when your backing it up. Thats some oiashrgoipahsdgk;jnagvihasokjhassa ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont believe this worthless program just lost me years of memories and extremely important and sentimental data.

NERO YOU PEOPLE SUCKA ND SHOULD BE SHOT!

10. Guyy

Guyy Newbie

you can get in touch with nero and ask for their advise...here's the contact link.

that said, if all you want to do is retrieve pictures etc, it'll be in one of the .dat files where your back up is. In which case, you can search for a program that will open your .dat files, which you can then copy. check this program