1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help w/ dvd shrink...

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by BasketsCL, Dec 27, 2003.

1. BasketsCL

BasketsCL Member

i successfully downloaded and installed the 3.0 beta version. I successfully shrank a dvd movie that I wanted to make a backup of. even burned it to a CD+R and got the message that it had burned correctly. When i put it in my DVD player - not the computer - the one w/ the tv... it says bad file... the movie plays in the dvd burner drive...

what did I miss ???

thanks!
    Cindy

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Cindy,

When you say you burned your project to a CD+R I am assuming that you burned it to a DVD ?? I'm only guessing that because CD's don't have a +R or -R media.

If I am incorrect and you are dealing with a Mini-DVD format on a CD, forget the rest of this post -

Did you check the owner's manual to see if your standalone was compatible with your media ??

Did you use Nero as a burning software ??

If you answered, "Yes" to the above, did you make sure that you were using "New Compilation" or were you in "Wizard" ??

If you were in "New Compilation" as you should have been, did you make sure that you transferred ALL of the files from your "Browser Window" to the "New" window, the one second from the left ??

Lastly, did you use really good media or "el Cheapo" media ??
    Mr. Standalone hates to go out with "Trashy Downtown Chic's". He only likes to be seen with the "High Class, Uptown Ladies".
    You never "save" with low cost media - could very be your problem if all of the above were OK

Hopes this has been of some help -

Happy Holidays,
    "P"

3. BasketsCL

BasketsCL Member

you are correct - it was a DVD+R - Memorex 4.7 GB 120 minute video 4x dvd...

i did successfully burn a dvd from my video camera and it played fine in the same dvd player... so that's not the problem...

i set up a new folder - w/ the name of the movie - and compressed the files w/ DVD shrink to that folder - when I burned the dvd - w/ the Record now software that came w/ my HP DVD Burner - i just selected the folder - (and all it's contents) -and the total file was 4.3GB ... so it fit fine on the 4.7GB dvd...

but it won't play in the dvd player - like it's missing the startup file or something... it does play in the computer / w/ the Power DVD software...

any ideas ????

cindy

4. BasketsCL

BasketsCL Member

and now i tried it in the other dvd rom drive on my computer - won't recognize it there either ... hmmmmmmmm........

5. BasketsCL

BasketsCL Member

ok now i've decided the dvd i burned won't play at all - i was accessing the files on the hard drive that i compressed on the the c drive in the folder that i setup... ????

6. mooglez

mooglez Regular member

Sounds like you made a data dvd, instead of video dvd?

or did you select video dvd when you started to burn, and did you transfer the files to the video_ts folder?

7. BasketsCL

BasketsCL Member

i think i did a data cd... so what should i choose ?

8. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

the problem is folder structure.

You [bold]NEED[/bold] to make a VIDEO_TS folder for the files. (caps are important) If you don't do this the standalone will NOT recognize the DVD. It is an absolute necessary component of the DVD structure. Computers will play anything in any folder, Standalones will not.

The other settings sound ok with recordnow (i.e. data dvd)

9. BasketsCL

BasketsCL Member

so if i create a new folder and name it VIDEO_TS and move all the compressed files into it... then burn that folder to the dvd - that should do it ???

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

11. Samantha

Samantha Member

Create a sub folder called VIDEO_TS inside your movie folder. All compressed files go in there. Once done use Nero6 select DVD Video. Drop and drag all files from your VIDEO_TS folder into the VIDEO_TS in Nero6. Burn and play.

Good luck :eek:)

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Same stuff, different wording - as simple as it can get -

HINT:
    I create a folder on my HD named "DVD Work" and before ripping my DVD’s I create another sub-folder with the name of the movie I'm backing up. (I.e. DVD Work\Pirates of the Caribbean.) When you click "Backup" in DVDShrink, a box will come up saying "Target Folder:” click "Browse" and trace your path back to "DVD Work\ Pirates of the Caribbean " - when DVDShrink is finished, it will give you your VIDEO_TS folder already made for you in your DVD Work\ Pirates of the Caribbean folder and you’re good to go. Now, if you wish, you can burn it days down the road. At one point I had 23 movies sitting there, just waiting for my shipment of blank DVD media to arrive.

When you wish to burn, use the "File Browser" in Nero (don’t use Wizard) to trace your path back again to DVD Work\ Pirates of the Caribbean, you don’t have to try to remember where your work is or if you need to do anymore work on it, it is completely finished, ready to go – you are done and done –

Hint:
    When using Nero
    How to burn using Nero 6.0.
    Step by Step –
    Do not use Nero Wizard.
    When you open Nero Burning ROM, you will be at the “New Compilation” window. Directly under the title “New Compilation” is a choice block to choose either DVD or CD, choose DVD. Directly under that click on DVD Video. Then click “New” in the upper right corner of that screen, NOT the main screen.
    You now are in the DVD Video window. In the left screen, click VIDEO_TS. In the File Browser screen, 3rd from the left, trace your path to the DVDShrink folder holding your work and click on that folder. All of your VIDEO_TS files are now opened in the right screen. Click on the top file, hold down the “Shift” key and then click the bottom file thereby hi-lighting the entire column of files. Click and (holding the left mouse button down) drag the entire column of files to the open screen, second from the left.
    Now click the icon on the task bar that shows a match on a disc, and then click “Burn” and Baby, now you are done !!!
    Keep all fingers and toes away from Mr. Computer.
    Go and have your coffee, when Nero is done, it will let you know.

“P”