1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help w/ Roxio (please)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Nino74, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Nino74

Nino74 Member

I'm getting frustrated b/c it's been 2 days and I still can't burn a DVD. I have downloaded DVD Decrypter and DVD shrink and I am using Roxio Easy DVD copy, but it is nothing but easy. Can someone please tell me what are the baby steps I need to take to burn a DVD? Thanks.

2. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

Baby step one : look up at the 3rd tab called "Guides" there you will find complete (a drum roll please) guides for both DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink, with screenshots that walk you through the process.

Roxio is not the burning software of choice in these forums. Myself and others prefer Nero. Search the forums for problems with Roxio.

Good luck.

PS: Read the forum rules and in the future refrain from all caps and make the topic title descriptive. Otherwise you can't expect any response and could get banned.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  3. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

you are the girl of my dreams. we need to promote you right away. i ate my roxio disc, it tasted like crap, just like what it did to my computer. nero seems to have the goods. as for the question, do you have a dvd burner and not a dvd rom.

4. Nino74

Nino74 Member

I have a Benq EW162U 16x+R16X-R

5. Nino74

Nino74 Member

thanks LivnDGirl. I'm just so desperate and I am new to this. I'm not very computer savy and I just want to throw my Benq out the window.

6. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

@Nino74
    Working on the assumption that you are backing up a copy of a DVD for personal use, which DVD are you working on?

Be sure you have the latest versions of DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink as they have special powers =).

Did you find a guide yet?

7. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

Awwww, I feel your pain. I was lucky to stumble on this forum early on. <<this place rocks>>

I suggest you get into good habits right away. Like using DVD Decrypter first and then DVD Shrink to finish the job. I use Nero Express (OEM version) to burn directly from DVD Shrink.

Here is a link to one of my favorite guides, by the man, the myth, the legend - ScubaPete!
    http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/shrink_decrypter.html

DVD Decrypter - made easy (flash demo)
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/dvd-decrypter.php

My next favorite DVD Shrink guide (has flash demo)
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/fulldisk_basic.php
    and a guide explaining the settings (preferences)
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/preferences.php

Some other reading that might be useful
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdcopy/shrink/dvdshrink.htm

8. Nino74

Nino74 Member

No I have not found a guide. I guess my next step is to download this Nero software. Thanks. I need an idiots guide b/c I really feel like one.

9. Nino74

Nino74 Member

How do you work w/ DVD decrypter and DVD shrink @ the same time? I'm looking @ the links u sent me to see if it can answer some of my questions; as u can see how much of an idiot I am.

10. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

I don't use them at same time. Others may (probably) do it different than me.

I open DVD Decrypter and put in the DVD. (use guides above to check for recommended settings) I select File Mode. After the dvd is recognized as loaded (message at the bottom of the screen as I recall), I just click the icon DVD to Hard Disk. When it's finished (17 minutes for me with Win XP SP1 machine running 1.6 CPU and 1.5 GB RAM) I close DVD Decrypter.

Insert a blank DVD media disk in your burner.

Open DVD Shrink (use guide for settings and if you have Nero installed being sure that "Burn with Nero" is enabled) and click on Open Files button. Navigate to where you had DVD Decrypter rip the files to. Then click on Backup button. It first goes into encode mode then directly to burn mode (if you have burn with Nero enabled)without a screen change. When it's finished, the drive opens for you to remove the completed disk and a screen reminding you of the location of the temporary files it created comes up.

Thats step by step exactly what happens when I burn DVDs.

Getting the settings right is the most important part and that will be explained in those guides.

Good luck. You can do this. Just pick one of those guides and read it all the way through first then follow the steps exactly. It's how I learned.

11. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Well, in that case, we were all idiots once upon a time.

Just hang in. You don't use dvd decrypter and dvd shrink "at the same time" necessarily in an absolute sense. They way many of us use them "together" is sequentially:

1. dvd decrypter to rip the dvd (copy it to the hard drive)

2. dvd shrink to get it so that it fits on a dvd5 (single layer) dvd with minimal compression (compression causes a loss of video quality)

3. When you click on "backup" in dvd shrink after you've configured what it is you want to burn, dvd shrink will encode the files, and then use another program to actually copy ("burn") them to the dvd. Often this is Nero (dvd shrink will default to using Nero, if you have it), but you could tell dvd shrink to use dvd decrypter to do the burn, in which case the sequence comes full circle.

That's how they are used "at the same time."

12. Nino74

Nino74 Member

Must I have the Nero software or can I burn say Finding Nemo on DVD Decrypter and DVD shrink to a blank 4.7 disk?
    I am trying to buy the Nero software but there are so many I don't know which one to use.

13. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

Hi Nino,
    As Bazilla mentioned you can use decrypter to burn.
    Just set up Shrink to use Decrypter for burning.
    Good Luck,
    HW.

14. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

You have been the given the right guidance so far & good use of guide links [by LivnDGirl].

My usage of the two pieces of software is thus :
    Rip whole disc w/ DVD Decrypter in [bold]ISO Read [/bold] mode.
    Open disc image w/ DVD Shrink & it'll automatically analyze video contents [edit out all un-needed audio & maybe set extras to 'still image' ... depending on how much content there is & what kind of a percentage of compression ratio it shows as].
    As seen on the pictorial walk thru guides on dvdshrink.info
    If you want as good as possible video quality then set DVD Shrink in maximum smoothness or max sharpness etc & also set it to do 'deep analysis'.
    Output w/ DVD Shrink : I have all burners set to off & instead I have it send an .ISO to hard-drive [which I later burn with DVD Decrypter in [bold]ISO Write[/bold] mode].

That's just my own personal way (if using these proggies , I prefer CCE SP ... but that's another story and best left for another day me thinks)

15. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

edit: decided any further comment would just create confusion.

16. Nino74

Nino74 Member

can someone come to my house and do this 4 me. LOL

17. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

haha - don't think for a minute we didn't all feel this way in the beginning. It's a lot of info to absorb.

You don't want us in your house. We are scary. Be afraid, be very afraid.

18. Nino74

Nino74 Member

When I go to the DVD Decrypter and select a file source in ISO mode write, I choose the Video_TS b/c that's where I've saved my file and the file name does correspond. I get an error message that says the system cannot find the file specified. I'm ready to put Benq on ebay. Forget about it!!!!! :(

19. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

When prompted to burn the output from DVD Shrink in DVD Decrypter , select the .ISO file it made [which should be under 4.36 Gb btw].

Even I had a little trouble way back in the day , after I'd purchased a Benq (pioneer 104/a04) DVD-RW.
    Then I read loads of forum posts & after following certain guides I had success [you'll never look back]

20. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

First did you use file mode or ISO mode on Decrypter?
    Decrypter burns ISO file only.

I know it's probably confusing since we use different methods to get to same result.

Herbsman's ISO method is more user friendly probably.

Just pick one method and follow it to the end.