1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! What do I need to do to load files to my PSP

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by redwingD, Jun 5, 2007.

1. redwingD

redwingD Member

I just got a PSP, and I was so excited to find out about PSP Blender, and all the files they have available, that I subscribed, without doing much homework. My level of knowledge in this field is very limited. I hadn't even heard of torrent files until yesterday. I still don't completely understand them, but I did successfully download a psp game (PSP NHL 2007) to my computer using uTorrent. Now I can't figure out how to get it onto my PSP. I ended up with a folder that contains about 17 files entitled "lfc-NHL7.001", lfc-NHL7.002", etc. Now I have no idea what to do with them. The instructions on PSP blender sucked at best, and linked me to a bunch of sites that talked about downgrading firmware, but were dated over a year back. So, my questions are:
    1- to just run downloaded PSP files (nothing fancy like emulators), do I need to downgrade my firmware (mine came in the box with 2.81)? Since PSP blender said it worked with all firmware, I didn't think I'd need to, but I don't have a lot of confidence in the site at this point since it just links me elsewhere.
    2-If I do need to downgrade firmware, how far do I need to downgrade, and will I lose any functionality by doing so?
    3-If I need to downgrade firmware, how do I do this without ruining my system?
    4-How the heck do I get games onto the PSP?

2. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

Hi-sorry to hear of your misfortune with the folks at PSPblender, lesson learned I guess??...Some people swear by it, but most are pretty ticked once they learn that the money they spent for the "subscription" is nothing more than outdated information that is readily available for free by using google or forums such as these...Enough about that though-lets try to get your questions answered right?

In order to play your downloaded games on your PSP (iso's) you need to either be running version 1.50 along with a loader, such as devhook or fastloader, etc.(google is your friend)Or a custom firmware(but maybe being new to the game you should take baby steps, and not jump in head first)-In your case having version 2.81 you would need to update to sony offical firmware version 3.03...(NOTE: DO NOT USE THE SOFTWARE UPDATE FUNCTION ON YOUR PSP!!!) Otherwise it will update to the most recent firmware version of 3.50, and then you will have NO way of downgrading whatsoever...Do a search for Sony version 3.03-you can probably find on like psp-hacks.com or qj.net...While you are there, you can grab your version 3.03 to 1.50 downgrader as well. That is first and foremost-you need to downgrade your firmware..yes you will lose some functions- internet browser, etc. that your are accustomed to with FW2.81(remember you are rolling back the clock)-however,there are so many advantages to dowgrading your firmware that outweigh the disadvantages, that once you become more knowledgeable on the subject-you can do so much more than what the PSP owners manual says you can do...

As far as the downgrade itself is concerned-yes there is a slight chance of ruining (or bricking) your PSP if done incorrectly..But the downgrader instructions are so well written and detailed these days that it is almost impossible to do so..

Once you do take the leap and downgrade your PSP, like I said you will need a loader to play the ISO's-devhook is the most popular program out there for this, because not only does it play your games, its also emulates higher firmware for your newer games that require firmware higher than 1.5 and you gain the functions that were once lost such as the internet browser, etc...very nice!!

Getting games on the PSP from your computer requires a USB cable, and the ISO's are placed in the ISO folder on the PSP which devhook will create for you. EDIT: If you haven't already, now would be a good time to invest in a quality memory stick-I recommend 2 gigs at the least to start with, because the games run anywhere from 500MB up to 1.8 gig per game..watch out for fakes if you plan to get one from eBay!!

Usually when you get the games off the internets, it will give you those multiple numbered files-You will need a program called WINrar (if you dont have it already) to package them into an ISO which is the file type that the PSP recognizes..

I know it sounds overwhelming, we were all there at one time or another-thats what the forums are for..remember to use the search function, and more than likely you will find the answers you need!!

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  3. tylerscoo

tylerscoo Regular member

O i downgraded i think i no what i have to do...
    And i dont use pspblender so im ok... If you do and u need help finding another one just ask...

4. redwingD

redwingD Member

Thank you so much!!! I didn't even know what to search for at first (thus the cry for help). Your description helps it all make sense. Thanks for taking the time to walk me through all this.

For anyone else looking at getting PSP Blender, I'd strongly advise against it! What a waste! All it is, is a crappy outdated search engine that leads links you to files on other websites, that you have no idea what to do with. Chalk this up as a $37 lesson learned, since I'm sure they won't refund my money. I have 3 trouble tickets in already, and I can't even get them to respond to those, I'm pretty sure a request for a refund will fall like a Led Balloon.

5. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

Not a problem...Thats what we are here for!

For more in-depth information, have a look on the first page of this forum (firmware/mod) under the title "The Motherload of PSP Guides"-where you will find the answers to everything you need to know, as well as detailed instructions and links to point you in the right direction. The info I gave you is only the tip of the iceberg, but hopefully will get you on your way to enjoying your investment..

I myself almost got suckered into that PSPblender way back when-my gut instinct told me that if it sounds too good to be true...

I have heard alot of people say the same about the refund process, and how they never get a response from the company which from what I understand is actually just one guy in the UK running the show!!