1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!! - What happened?!?!

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by aaargghh, Oct 8, 2007.

1. aaargghh

aaargghh Member

I was flashing a custom theme to my 3.71 m33-2, it didnt switch on, I put it in recovery mode put the original flash files on, and it was fine. I go and try out another theme specifically made for the new firmware, it switches off, I thought ok, ill just replace the flash - But I couldnt access recovery, It must be fully bricked.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this has happened?

I read about the pandoras battery fix, can I just use the battery I have in my psp now?

To use this pandoras battery I need a psp with custom firmware, only one of my friends with a psp is willing to let me borrow it but he has 3.50 sony original firmware, not custom, can I upgrade this normal firmware to a higher custom firmware or do I have to downgrade it using lumines (which nobody has)then upgrade to a custom firmware?

Yes I know this post is long, just a couple of questions.lol

Thanks for any help

2. Rav3

Rav3 Regular member

Firstly, before u ever flash any more themes to your PSP, make sure that it is compatible with your FW!! 3.71 M33 has it's own set of themes and using the wrong themes can lead to a semi-brick. It is most likely that this is what has happened. U used the wrong themes (the themes were made for another CFW)

Besides, in 3.71 FW (OFW & CFW) u DO NOT NEED to flash the ptf theme files. Download them as ptf files and place them in the folder X:\PSP\THEME and they can be selected through Settings -> Theme Settings -> Theme.

The only way to create the Pandora's battery is through the use of a PSP which is capable of running a homebrew app (since this app programs the battery and creates files on the MS). So yes, u will need to find Lumines to use the Lumines exploit to downgrade your PSP to 1.5 OFW and THEN upgrade to a newer CFW, or you can leave it @ 1.5.

Yes, u can use the battery u have in your PSP right now, but it's recommended that u use a SPARE battery since if u ever need to unbrick, u will need to borrow your friend's PSP again to reprogram the battery into a Pandora's Battery. Do not fret, the battery u use can be easily restored into a normal battery, and the MS u use can be restored to a normal MS.

3. aaargghh

aaargghh Member

It was a 3.71 m33 theme pack, still I have no idea how it happened.
    So there is no way of upgrading my friends psp to a custom firmware without Lumines?

If I do manage to find a friend with cfw on his psp there is no chance of bricking that to make the magic battery if I use the easy installer on it? Someone else with cfw will think I will brick his psp by running the pandora, this wont happen will it?
    Thanks

4. kvsingh

kvsingh Member

for pandoras jigkick you need a spare battery and a memory card pro duo 256mb or above.
    if you cant fine a psp with cfw, i would suggest you buy a battery and MS pack from ebay, amazon etc. it might be a bit expensive but it wil be worth it.
    But before you try all this i suggest you try these:
    1)Make sure the battery is fully charger. if still not working, then
    2)remove battery, plug in ac power and then hold R and switch on to try to access recovery menu.
    Also does the orange light come on or not?

5. aaargghh

aaargghh Member

Just tried it, still no recovery menu, the orange light does come on.
    I have a mate at school with custom firmware, ive asked if either I could borrow his psp for a couple of mins or he makes a pandoras battery for me if I give him the .exe easy installer.
    He said no because he thinks I will brick his psp, theres no way of doing this is there?
    Thanks for the help so far

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

No you won't brick his PSP by using his PSP to create the Pandora battery.

But what good does that do by me saying it? He dosent trust you to use it why would he trust a staranger that is saying the same thing?

Are you sure your backing up the flash0 correctly before flashing these themes and flashing them correctly?

The correct way to backup 3.71 M33/M33-2 files is by enabling flash0 via Recovery Menu (Don't flash your XMB via VSH menu or you will semi-brick/full brick).

When the flash0 window comes up on the PC go to Tools> Folder Options> View Tab>...

Tick the radial that says (show hidden files and folders)

Untick the box that says (Hide Protected Operating System files).

Click on Apply then OK.

Now drag the flash0 files over to PC to back them up (Make sure the steps above are also done when recovering your flash0 files).

make sure your using a custom XMB that is comaptible with 3.71 M33-2 custom firmware.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  7. aaargghh

aaargghh Member

ah
    I haven't backed up my flash properly then
    I enabled flash0 through recovery then just copied and pasted the files I could see to a backup folder on my computer, I didnt realise there where hidden files, but still I cant see why changing what the xmb looks like can decide whether I can access recovery or not, looks like im off to ebay to buy an over priced pandora that someone has already made, suppose 25 quid is better that buying a new psp.

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Go HERE and find someone located close to you. All you have to do in most cases is send them a Battery and memory Stick and pay for shipping and they will create the Pandora battery for free.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  9. Rav3

Rav3 Regular member

Try that > eBay

eBay is dodgy, and you're not guaranteed results, and they request you send your PSP unit as well, so there's more to lose. AND what larrylje posted compose of learned users from the psp scene e.g. fanjita, and seems much more likely to work :)

10. aaargghh

aaargghh Member

So if I just email say Fanjita and ask to create a pandora battery if I send him my battery and mem stick and pay postage both ways he will just do it for me?
    I think the only way of contacting him is if I create an account at QJ.

11. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You will just need to try contacting him and ask.