1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP? Why doesn't DVD Sony player play burned dvds?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by yojoeyo, May 30, 2007.

1. yojoeyo

yojoeyo Member

Sorry mods, but i dont know where to put this thread...

Ok here is the deal everyone...i recently downloaded some avi files. Then to get them to play on my Polaroid DVD player, I converted them to mpeg and played them and they came out great.

Fast forward to earlier tonight, i tried to play the same dvd that worked on my player...on another dvd player,a sony one, and it doesn't play or show anything..it's blank!

How come? What can i do now to make a dvd work on my friend's sony dvd? I dont understand why my friend's sony dvd player didn't play a burned mpeg copy??

Thanks!!!

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

if you burned the DVD as a Data DVD with mpg files then the player needs to be able to view mpg files! but if you burned a DVD movie with DVD compliant files (VOB, IFO, BUP files) then it's just a matter of a few things..... certain players are picky on what type of media your burn to and so it might not recognize the disk at all, and :

there are plenty of reasons why certain dvds won't play in other players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

follow these little tips of the trade and you'll have better success! good luck.

also read this:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/
    why the +R media is better than the -R media

3. getkyle

getkyle Member

I struggled to get DVDs to play in my Sony player for a while. I finally discoverd that movies burned in PAL format were rejected, while those very same files burned NTSC worked perfectly - whether printed to + or - disks.

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@getkyle.... I keep forgetting to remember to tell Newbies about the PAL and NTSC difference in AVI files! That's because I have ConvertXToDVD and if it's an PAL AVI then ConvertXToDVD will correct this problem when it converts it as the settings are all ready for that:

[​IMG]

and Nero does that, too, if it's set up properly.

5. orion250

orion250 Regular member

PAL is used in most of the western European countries (except France, where SECAM is used instead), Australia, some countries of Africa, some countries of South America and in some Asian countries.

NTSC is used in the United States, Canada, Japan, in most of the American continent countries and in various Asian countries. The rest of the world uses either some variety of PAL or SECAM standards.