1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, why is my burner slowing down at the 30% mark?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by MarjonS, Jan 3, 2005.

1. MarjonS

MarjonS Member

Hi folks,

So I am not a computer expert, but I recently bought a used computer with a DVD burner installed (it's a generic 8x burner).

I have had it for about a month now and have been burning using DVDXcopyXpress with very few problems.

However, in the last few days, my drive has been doing something strange. It READS the original DVD I put in in a decent amount of time (about 15 minutes on avergage), but when it comes time to write, it burns fine for the first 30% of the blank disc. And right at 30%, the steady flashing red light on my cpu slows down quite a bit, and then time starts being added to the time remaining. It ends up taking about 30 minutes just to burn the blank dvd. When I pop it out, I can see the burn line change right around the 30% mark, and when I pop it in to play, the first 30% plays fine, the rest of the disc either freezes up, skips, or stutters.

So, hearing that DVD Shrink and Encrypter work for some, I downloaded them, and I also gave Nero a shot. The result is the same:

at the 30% mark in writing the disc, you can hear the dvd drive change gears and start to slow down.

I have tried plus R, minus R, TDK, Maxell, Imitation, Memorex, 8x, 4x........and the result is the same.

My question is do I need to change the settings somewhere in my computer (ie. could something have changed without my knowledge), or is my burner just dying?

Be gentle with me, I am not computer savy, so I might need the lamens version of any advice.

Thanks guys! Marjon

2. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Check your device manager, select the IDE channel your drive is on, right click on properties. Click on advanced settings tab. Transfer mode should be DMA. If not uninstall your dvd and reboot.
    Of course this might not apply to your dvd, if it does not support DMA. Check your specs.

3. MarjonS

MarjonS Member

Hey thanks for the advice. As I said, I am not computer savy, but here is what I did with your advice:

I went into device manager.
    The only thing with IDE listed is the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
    When I click on that, three boxes appear underneath it, reading as follows:
    Primary IDE Channel
    Secondary IDE Channel
    VIA Bus Master IDE Controller

When I click on properties on the Primary IDE Channel, and click advanced settings, here is how it reads:

for Device 0
    DEVICE TYPE: Auto Detection
    TRANSFER MODE: DMA if available
    CURRENT TRANSFER MODE: Not Applicable

for Device 1
    DEVICE TYPE: Auto Detection (Note: the type is not in bold, but faded, as if it is not an option to even click on it and change it)
    CURRENT TRANSFER MODE: Ultra Mode 5

Moving on to the Secondary IDE Channel:

Device 0
    DEVICE TYPE: Auto Detection (Note: the type is not in bold, but faded, as if it is not an option to even click on it and change it)
    CURRENT TRANSFER MODE: Ultra DMA Mode 2

Device 1
    DEVICE TYPE: Auto Detection
    CURRENT TRANSFER MODE: Not applicable

So that is what I found out. Based on your advice, the settings seem to be what they should be on. Or am I wrong? Thanks again, Marjon

4. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Right. CURRENT TRANSFER MODE: Ultra Mode 5 is the hard drive. You only have the burner, no ROM or CD.
    I seem to remember something on the VIA Bus Master IDE Controller. Need to run a search and think over the problem. Plus I am burning at the moment. What is setting do you have for the burenr. Most recommend 4X.

5. MarjonS

MarjonS Member

A-ha, here in lies the first apparent evidence of my lack of computers.

Step by step, how do I check and see where my settings are at for the speed in which it is burning?

All I know is that is a generic 8X RW Drive.

Thanks again for your assistance.

6. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

I use DVD Decrypter, so I wil go with it. Open it and you will see on the menu a setting for write speed. Click on the ▼ and select 4X. Nero has tool called test drive to check ot your drive. The model of the drive should be at ( Click on MY Computer, right click on your burner and select Properties, select the Hardware tab). That should list it.