1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, windows 7 crashed due to virus.

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by SonGoku21, Nov 24, 2011.

1. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

It started a little while back, I wa susing my computer as usual, browsing the web, and instant messaging. Then, in the bottom right hand corner of my screen, bitdefender, my primary antivirus,had a little pop-up warning, saying it had found a virus on the computer. I cleared the firefox browser to make sure it was from my computer, and i clicked delete, so as to delete the virus. more little pop-ups like that came up again, I'd say about 4 in total, and i did the reccomended actions. Then a little while later, my computer started acting up, freezing. I couldnt run more than one application at once, or else i would have to wait 5 minutes for the computer to come around. I was a little worried, because this is a new computer. I restarted, and it restarted fine. I tried to do a system restore to fix said issue, but it failed. I restarted and booted into safe mode and ran a Malware bytes antimalware scan, but restarted again, and the scan never finished.since then, Ive been able to get into windows only once or twice. i rebot, and everytime 2 options come up, one is to use startup repair, and the other to boot normally. somewhere along the line, i ran a chkdsk, and came up with loads of errors. I ran start up repair many times, and it always was unable to fix disk errors. It asked if i wished to restore system to a time when it was working. I clicked restore, but it failed. I lost my windows 7 cd, but my aunt has one, and i might be able to use it.

My opertating system is windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
    I have 8 gb or ram.
    proccesor is Amd athlon x2 dual core.
    iI have a bootable usb of windows 7 ultimate.

I dont have any back ups of my stuff, because windows back up disk creator confused me to hell. so no back ups. what ever is on that harddrive is the only copy i have, so i cant do a fresh install. any ideas? it would be highly appreciated, and followed by praise worthy of god. thnx. Right now, im using an old computer that i thought was dead running windows 7 ultimate 32 bit with 512mb. i got the iso to make the usb from a copy of the iso i had on my windows 7 dvd. i downloaded pendrivelinux, and made a bootable usb. Thnx.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

safe mode & transfer data you want to keep to an external
    or
    place infected drive in a housing use the computer your on now to transfer data
    or
    use a linux livecd either install it to transfer or do it from live environment then reformat

once back to clean system go install easeus todo backup & never have this issue again

edit:zorin OS is a good replacement for win 7 or as dual boot option,this way if win 7 hits the fan you still have an OS to work from.Either way linux can have you backup & running even tho win 7 is kaput right now,it may even be able to remove viruses

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  3. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

i think ill try the first on aout re wiring harddrive to this computer then transfer what i need.

4. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

how do you use the linux. i can make a bootable usb, and already have ubuntu 10.4 lts on cd. thats my best bet.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Never used boot by usb i assume just put usb stick in usb port & boot comp,if bios setting is correct your first boot device will be set to usb,or if using cd just boot with cd in drive,then mount any partitions assuming they don't already get mounted

6. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

if in you mean mount, then i only have a 4 gb usb max. and a little more detail wold be nice. instructions, as im not used to linux just yet.

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

if you want to run from usb you'll need to read a linux guide as i install linux direct to hdd & dual boot.

once you get linux booted you'll see it's not much different from windows,the names for apps maybe different including layout, however computer isn't which is what "my computer" is in windows,mount means to load a partition if it's not done so just clik on a drive or dble clik to mount it then explore contents then drag n drop any stuff you want to save to whatever drive

8. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

so wait its like "my computer"? all i have to do is drag and drop? is it safe, like wat if i take over the virus?

9. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

so wait its like "my computer"? all i have to do is drag and drop? is it safe, like wat if i take over the virus?

10. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

im using ubuntu 11.10, and work like a charm, really impressive i have to say. i can browse the c driv elike im in windows. so just copy over thats it?

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

that's pretty much it,i use zorin it's core is ubuntu gnome however it can have either gnome desktop xp like or win 7 like,so it's quite close looking to windows,my advice once you have the stuff you need,reformat install win 7 then install linux so you dual boot,if winblows ever brakes you can simply boot into linux,zorin & ubuntu have two options for installing more software (they call them packages)you either use synaptic package manager (it's main place to get any software you need all in one place including updates or upgrades to next version) or software center which lists most popular

edit:installing to hdd will make linux run much faster than from cd,you can install it now even tho widows is busted

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  12. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

yea i took it to staples, though i read the terms of service and it said any illegal content might be reported. is dvd rip files illegal?

13. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

don't know what your talking about staples? just run linux & transfer what you want to save,if they report anything i should'a been arrested ages ago..lol..lets just say linux see's whole stacks of terabytes of movies on my drives,however i deny all knowledge of how they got there must'a been when i bought the comp

14. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

i took my computer to staples, office storoe, to fix it. its in their possesion now. my computer was originally running windows vista. due to an upgrade because of when i bought it, i got windowos 7 upgrade free. so at that point it was running windows 7 home premium. now its running windows 7 ultimate. can i get in trouble for that?

15. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

reply soon plz, this has me worried. never been this worried in my 17 years of life.

16. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

They would've used your license key surely even if they didn't it don't matter no ones gonna come knock'n,i use win 7 ultimate beta it just means i have to be careful what updates i get or i'll get the warning non licensed OS..hehehe,it would pay to setup easeus todo backup & start taking snapshots of the C drive

17. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

oh ok so it doesnt matter. thanks bro.