1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help windows is recognizing an agp video card as a pci video card

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ulagy, Apr 21, 2005.

1. ulagy

ulagy Member

I have a problem. My mother board is an ASUS A8V deluxe. Running Windows xp Pro with SP2. Amd 64 3200. The problem is that i am getting horrible video while playing 3d games. Sometimes playing games my computer would just shut off, sometimes during playing the game would freeze and i would get an error message "vpu recory". I was trying to do some basic trouble shooting and noticed that windows said it is a pci video card (it is a agp video card "ati radeon 9600xt"). I thought that it could have been a bad video card, so i installed my old video card (ati 8500 agp) and windows still shows that it is a pci card. Please Help

2. haimback

haimback Regular member

Did you update all the drivers motherboard and video card?

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

also check in the bios that the video card is set to agp & not pci!!

4. ulagy

ulagy Member

im going to update the bios tommorrow. i need a floppy to do this and i am out at the moment. this is the most strange thing that i have seen in a long time. have yall ever seen this?

5. ulagy

ulagy Member

do yall think that the main reason why my video game performance is so weak because windows thinks my video card is a pci instead of agp? (my last computer was better at playing warcraft 3 and it was only a pentium 3 500 mhz and an inferior video card)

6. gizmobob

gizmobob Member

The PCI/AGP Setting in the BIOS is only for POST Screens on bootup and have no effect when Windows is running. Usually for those who have two video cards on their PC and want to choose which Video Card to output the POST information to.

The Problem with your video sounds like a Driver issue. Uninstall the Driver that you loaded from the CDROM and download this one from ATI's Homepage; https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=640 . Do some research and you'll find Radeon drivers for your Video Card. I've had the same issue and used the WDM Drivers and all was well afterwards.

7. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

The problem is possibly your VIA chipset drivers.
    They install the system devices that enable the video GART and the AGP-to-PCI bridge, etc.
    Usually WindowsXP has these things looked after with its default (built-in) drivers, but your mobo is so new that you really should install the latest VIA 4-in-1 package.
    Give that a try right away; let us know if it helps :^)
    Regards

8. ulagy

ulagy Member

i havent had a chance to work on it recently, but i have been reading on other forums that ati video cards are not capable with the asus motherboard a8v deluxe. other people say to just switch to nvidia and it should work. does this sound right? or other input?

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Try removing ALL graphics drivers from your HDD, looking in (add and remove,) and then uninstall any graphics cards in "Device Manager" as well before you reboot with your new card in place. Then re-install all drivers that belong with your new video card and see if that helps.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  10. ulagy

ulagy Member

i installed a nvidia 5900 and it runs perfectly. its wierd that my mother board will only interact well with a nvidia card. i tested my other video cards i tested on another computer and they worked great on the other computer. i wonder if asus and nvidia are some how related at want you to buy there products, or if i just got a wierd mother board.

thanks for all the input

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

teach & learn