1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with a Denon 987

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by gibbo82, Jan 20, 2007.

1. gibbo82

gibbo82 Member

I just got my Denon 987 the other day and hooked it up. So far everything is working, but there was one thing I couldn't figure out how to do. Right now I can only hear sound from my digital cable box through my receivers speakers. Is there a way to run a connection from the receiver to the TV and be able to listen to sound through my TV with my receiver being off? This way I wouldnt always have to use my full speaker setup. Hopefully there is a way. Thanks.

2. david66

david66 Regular member

you can do this if you have audio inputs on your tv run two audio cables fron your cable box to the audio in on your tv you should have audio outs on the cable box they should be colored red and white

3. gibbo82

gibbo82 Member

Yeah, thanks for the advice. I knew you could do that, but I wanted to know if I could run everything though the receiver so that I didn't have to have extra connections. But I am guessing that there is no way to bypass the receiver the way I want.

4. JVC

JVC Active member

This is just for my own curiosity.........
    If you have surround sound, why would you want to use just the tv speakers?

5. gibbo82

gibbo82 Member

My wife complains that the surround sound is too loud. So I just wanted the option to let her watch it without all the speakers. Anyway, I have used the before mentioned method, so I am fine with that issue. I am, however, having a new issue. I have my 8300HD box from Comcast hooked up to my Denon 987 receiver through HDMI. Then my receiver to my TV through a HDMI to DVI cord. When I assign my HDMI 1 input to my TV, I get an error saying "Your HDTV does not support HDCP. Please disconnect the HDMI connector and use the YPrPb connection to continue watching TV." Why would it be doing this? I was able to watch my Comcast box through the HDMI to DVI connection before. Does this mean I can't run the Comcast box through my reciever and take advantage of the HDMI switching? I hope I didn't write that too confusingly.

6. gibbo82

gibbo82 Member

And yes, my TV is HDCP capable.

7. david66

david66 Regular member

get in touch with comcast the problem may be caused by what version HDMI you have as there are 2 version 1.3 is the newest version

8. gibbo82

gibbo82 Member

I will give that a try. Thanks for the advice. I am glad to know that its not my TV or receiver.

9. david66

david66 Regular member

it could be your receiver it may not be able to pass the older version of HDMI

10. david66

david66 Regular member

I gave you thw wrong info the newest version of HDMI is 1.1 not 1.3

11. gibbo82

gibbo82 Member

Well, I called and spoke with Comcast. They admitted that it was the 8300HD box. It has issues with receivers using the HDMI. So after more research I found that Scientific Atlanta has released a firm ware upgrade to fix the issue. It seems Cox and other cable companies are fixing the issue on a one-by-one basis, but not Comcast. They haven't "approved" the upgrade, and don't have any timeline on when they will. I had a heated discussion with a rep at comcast about how crappy a situation this is for someone like me with a great setup. But they apprantly don't care. I hate Comcast, and if it weren't for them having a monopoly in my area, I would switch in a heartbeat. Oh I can't wait to have DirecTV when I move out of my apartment.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel this is silly that Comcast won't fix the issue when they have the solution.

12. JVC

JVC Active member

Why are you waiting until you move to get DirecTv?
    If it's because the landlord doesn't like them, the law says they can't stop you.

13. gibbo82

gibbo82 Member

We are technically allowed to have DirecTV, but the direction the dish needs to point doesn't work with the layout of the apartment. But I will definately switch when I can.