1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with azureus

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by jk7378, Jan 27, 2007.

1. jk7378

jk7378 Guest

hi i have recently installed azureus onto my laptop
    the problem i have is that the torrents i have tried to download are taking between 4 and 12 hours, is this normal? it says i have a nat problem which i have tried to solve but to no avail. its frustrating. a few people have said azureus is the best for speeds i tried u torrent which was worst and a few others. please help!!

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Azureus doesn't have better speeds than utorrent that I know of, just more technical. Using utorrent, I have seen speeds vary between 5 - 300+ kbps; it's just a matter of your connection, seeds and peers, whether your ISP port throttles, whether you use a router that is not port forwarded, port used, etc. But, that NAT error will definitely slow things, so let's try and fix that. Do you have a router, what port are you using, is encryption enabled, who is your ISP?

3. jk7378

jk7378 Guest

yeah i have a router its a belkin and my isp is blueyonder im not sure about the ports i am new to it all it all gets technical and when your not used to it its frustrating. any help is much appreciated thankyou.

4. jk7378

jk7378 Guest

hi again ...the port which is on azureus is 49152???? it doesnt mean much to me ! i am a bit torrent virgin.

5. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I don't know much about Azureus, if that is the default port from when you installed Azureus, change it to over 50,000 and enable Protocol Encryption here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395674 With a router, a static ip address is your best bet. It's easy to do and just ensures your router won't be selecting a new ip address every time you start making any port forwarding useless. Just pay attention to the DNS part: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm Now you forward that port in your router to that address, just find your router on this page and select it, on the next page, select your program and then follow the instructions: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm As far as I know, Blueyonder doesn't block ports, maybe someone can shed some light there. And that should set you up.

6. jk7378

jk7378 Guest

thanks i will try and sort i out. ive tried before to port forward but i came unstuck! it all gets too technical for me im not the best with the pc!

7. mistycat

mistycat Active member

The router has to be forwarded if you want the best speeds. The direction are all step by step so if you don't understand something, just keep going over it until you do and feel free to ask questions if you don't. It can seem intimidatting at first but will become second nature to you

8. jk7378

jk7378 Guest

thanks fot all your info and help i will try what youve said. it is intimidating when you dont know what to do. i need step by step instrucions really! im unsure how to make a static ip for my laptop/router and how to forward a port. im also not really sure about which torrent download site to use for the best eg: azureus or u torrent ect. like i said i am a novice!!

9. jk7378

jk7378 Guest

to misty cat: hi i tried to set up a static ip from the guide via portforward.com and it didnt work? i changed the encryption on azureus but im still unsure if the port is forwarded. its really frustrating and i dont wanna mess anything up on the laptop.

10. mistycat

mistycat Active member

You won't mess anything up, keep track of what you change and you can always change it back. To set your static address, go to start>run, type in cmd or command and select ok. Now, in the black box that appears type ipconfig/all and select enter. The information you need will appear; make a note of your ip address, your Subnet Mask, your Default Gateway and your DNS Servers (there will be 1 or 2) but if their address and Default Gateway are the same' you'll have to get the proper address from your router or ISP. Type exit and select enter and you're back at your desktop. Go back to start>control panel>network connection and you will see more than 1 connection. Only 1 connects you to the internet. To find which one you need, right click on 1, select disable and try to surf. If you can't, that's it , if not, try another but reenable each as you go. When you find the right connection,(remember to reenable) select properties and in the box that opens, select TCP/IP and then properties again. Enter the info from ipconfig/all in the proper boxes by deslecting obtain ip address automatically and obtain DNS server automatically. ok out and the address is now static and you forward that address in your router. Edit: I'm assuming XP, other os's will vary

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  11. jk7378

jk7378 Guest

thankyou very much for taking the time to explain all that, its much appreciated i shall try again tomorrow and get back to you. thanks.