1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Azureus

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by mspike6, Aug 21, 2007.

1. mspike6

mspike6 Member

HI there
    am sure this question has been asked alot but i wanted to ask about my personal config . and make sure that am doing everything alright couse am pretty new with the whole thing..

Firstly i got Azureus
    Modem : Billion Bipac 5102
    Router: BELKIN (Wirless) 832-4 (my Pc Conected Directly to the modem
    DSL : 256KB TE DATA (Egypt)

i got a little problem with speed as every one do , i readed almost all Threads about speed problem and i did as what ppl said, here is what i did:

1- Conf. my UDP/TCP port listen to 59861 (from Azureus)
    2- went to Port forwording and conf. my Router/modem on this port + 6881
    3-i have antivirus Nod32 (am not sure if it have firwall insite , so i easly disabled it)... + i made Azureus to pass through my XP SP2 firewall (and to make sure i made it automaticly (to chose the prog.exe) + manualy(to type the port by yourself Both UDPand TCP).
    4-i made my upload rate 80% of my upload speed.

thats pretty everything i did ..

i went and i got torrent with 7(8)Seeds and 9(16) Peers
    But my download rate is like 3-15 KB/sec (notice that i got Green light which means everything working fine)

most of the times my upload speed is hight then the Download speed , and to be honest i didnt try any other torrent yet ,

i couldnt help myself so i decided to ask some experts to help me with there experince.

2. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Since you have your upload speed from the speed test, you should use the Azureus Upload Settings Calculator to adjust other settings under Options to set your Azureus to its optimal for speed.
    You just enter your upload speed, in kbs or kBs, in the appropriate spot and the calculator will give you the settings.

The speeds you are getting may be due to the individual torrent.
    To see how you compare to the rest of the swarm on the torrent, you should add a column to your downloads section.
    Right-click in an empty area of the downloads section and choose "Column Setup".
    On the column setup screen, tick "Swarm Average Speed" and press Apply and OK.
    With proper settings you should be getting higher than the swarm average.

Your ISP advertises in kilobits (kbs) and Azureus shows speeds in kilobytes (kBs). The 256kbs = 32kBs. For some more info on this check out Bits “b” and Bytes “B”: The Difference

The calculator should set you for good speeds.
    If you have any Qs, let me know.

3. mspike6

mspike6 Member

4. mspike6

mspike6 Member

Sorry here is my Upload setting Calcu. page

and i for got to give u peace of info....

when i first started downloading it was like 20-22 kB/s , only for the first few seconds like first 10-20 sec. ........... then it went pretty low

Thanks again

5. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you need to be in
    Tools/Options/Mode = Advanced to see the settings.

Where did you take the speed test and what were the results?

I could not see the calculator page. Link did not work, but not important.

Before we start looking at other possibilities, let's see if those adjustments do it for you.

BTW, who is your ISP (internet service provider)?

6. mspike6

mspike6 Member

My ISP is TE DATA (Egypt)

i did all the adjustments except Maximum number of connections globally
    and Per torrent couse i couldnt find them under (Advanced -> Tools -> Options -> Transfer )

nd still after i ficxed everything same slow Download :(

i took the upload speed test from the link u gave me "the one with upload setting calculator) and the result was 7kBs and Download was 27.25 kB

thanks

7. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

You are going to advanced under View.
    You need to go to Tools right near there and then select Options and then highlight Mode.
    You will see 3 settings there. Tick the Advanced and press Save at the bottom of the screen.

The max global settings could be your problem.
    Routers have trouble with too many open connections and can ge clogged up.
    This would explain your getting higher speeds and then slowing down.

The speeds for downloads you are getting, is that per torrent or overall download speed?

There is not much info on your ISP. But again, let's wait and see if adjusting the global connections helps.

After you have adjusted the connections, you could try the Slackware 10.2 Torrent (dedicated servers), as a test, as it has dedicated servers and is usually running well.
    Leave it running for about 15 minutes and see what download speed you are getting.

8. mspike6

mspike6 Member

ohhh , now i fixed the max globale setting

and the download in the .torrent u gave me was 20-25kB/s (which is good for my slucky connection)

but still its too slow on the first tirrent i told u about ( i think its bad torrent not my config. problem )

thanks alot dud :)
    really appreciated

9. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Yes the speed on the slackware would be right for your connection and would indicate that the problem is with the other torrent.

You could double-click the trouble torrent and go the the options tab and adjust max connections, as that might help.
    The other changes you made (in options) do not affect active torrents.

BTW you are the third person from Egypt I have helped in forums this week. Nice coincidence.
    The other two were on Airtel and had trouble with their modem, as it also blocked ports.
    I was going to ask about your modem, but since you got those speeds on the slackware, I do not think you have to mess with anything else.

For your connection, you should run only one torrent at a time.
    You will get better overall download speed and get the torrents faster in the end.

Sounds like you are set up as good as can be.
    No prob on the help dude, my pleasure.

10. mspike6

mspike6 Member

thanks again dud :)

i got one little more question.

soon enought like in couple of days i gonna travel to anther country "Canada" and live there... i heared "readed" that there is some ISP in canada that have problems with p2p progs. like roger.

so if u could recommend for me an a good ISP in Canada + what speed is fair good ? thats would be appreciated :)

for thos 2 Egyptian u helped, if they are with TE DATA as isp . and they are useing the modem TE DATA gave them , this modem block some ports , thats why i bought my own modem+router.... i think this peace of info my help u helping them :)

thanks

11. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Yes Rogers is bad, but some people are able to get P2P working with rogers.

I am not sure how Canada works on ISPs and territory, do you know where you will be living?

And get some long underwear for the winter, Canada gets a lot colder than Egypt.

12. mspike6

mspike6 Member

Hehe , ya am ready with my Under wears :p

am going to live in Calgary, Alberta ..

hopefully u can help me with this issue too , i don't want to get stuck with bad ISP

13. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

I don't know much about that area. But this site has a good listing of providers and there are quite a few available in Calgary.

http://www.canadianisp.com/cgi-bin/ispsearch.cgi?f=Search&p=AB

Select Calgary from the pulldown menu and then look under cable on the other pull down menu.
    As there are 90 ISPs, this will show what I would think are the bigger ones.

You would want one with no cap. There are 4 cable providers with no cap. These 4 also carry Dial-up and DSL.
    When you click on one of the providers, it will show all the services that provider has and price.
    Once you find one that looks good I would suggest doing a google with its name and "p2p". This will usually bring up comments about it and bittorrent.

14. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Don't know about Calgary but both Shaw and Rogers block torrents in certain areas. Telus is slower but doesn't block and at 3 MB is fast enough. You can can sign up for 6 MB in some areas and get a nice sign up gift for new customers on some plans. You can check them here: http://www.dslreports.com/forums/23 Pretty windy, too, hold on to your hat.

15. mspike6

mspike6 Member

First of all thanks for this great help jeff and Misty..

But am pretty Noob with Advanced ISP ... all what we got here in Egypt is 256 / 512 /1meg (which is realy rare and costy )

first problem that faced me.

i chose Calgery then Cable and kept it on residential and pressed Show ISPs , sadly he found 0 :D , i tried DSL he found like 4 , even tho it says in Calgery there is 90 ISP

and i got couple of more questions :D:p

Whats the cap u were talking about Jeff ?
    And whats the VOIP?
    and the Point to Point thing

16. mspike6

mspike6 Member

oh here i found something with good speed ISP called

Altima.Net i think 7100kb/s is pretty good , (am talking about 2nd package) and resonable price

tell me your opinion guys , couse your opinion means alot for me

17. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

You should check out the link of mistycat, a forum is usually the best place to get info.

I noticed altima also when I looked.
    But could not find anything much about them in a search.
    You are going to have to look in a forum about canadian ISPs for that.

I noticed there is a general canadian broadband forum at the link of mistycat.
    I did not find much in a search there, but you could post and ask.

18. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

I forgot about your questions.

The cap is about a limit on amount of uploaded and/or downloaded content from the internet.

VOIP is internet telephone

point to point is expensive and extremely fast and is usually for business.

19. mspike6

mspike6 Member

ill post and ask :) , and ill inform u as soon as i get an answer from ppl there

20. mistycat

mistycat Active member

One other thing to check on is how fussy an ISP may be about holding you to a cap. My cap is 60 GB but as long as I keep it under 150 GB, there has been no problem so far.