1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with backing up my wedding dvd---Computer won't recognize it

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bhermanjr, Jan 25, 2008.

1. bhermanjr

bhermanjr Guest

I've been a long time reader here but never had to post a question before because every time something comes up there was always someone who asked it first..until now.

I'm trying to make a backup of my Wedding dvd, which was done by a professional videographer. The disc is burned onto a DVD -R. The disc plays fine in a stand alone player, but my computer won't even recognize that it's inserted into my dvd drive. The drive works fine otherwise, I backup movies constantly but I just can't get my pc to recognize the disc is there. This is something I've never encountered before, any help would be appreciated. Thank you

2. geburuh

geburuh Regular member

I have had some that I just can't copy.
    Try turning auto play on your drives for DVD movies.
    Turn off any rippers that start when you start or restart PC.
    Turn off PC & start with disk in drive--try 2 or 3 time--it may read disk--try both drives.
    Good luck

3. bhermanjr

bhermanjr Guest

tried that, nothing. I'm baffled!

4. geburuh

geburuh Regular member

Try a friend's PC or there is always the wedding photo guy $$$

5. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If you are still able to use the drive and back up movies, it still doesn't seem right to conclude that the burner went bad. it could be that the disc is a bad burn, even though it plays fine in your stand alsone dvd players. They read the discs different, have different lasers.
    So if you insert the disc in the tray, the drive does not react at all? if you go in Win Explorer, it shows the drive empty?
    try a friend's computer like suggested above, They might have a better reader.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

If the videographer was a professional,he would have used the plus format and booktyped it to dvd-rom.

He could have also used low quality media,as well as a crappy burner.

You've got a compatability issue.

You're going to have to find another dvd-rom/dvd-rw drive that will recognize them.

If you can't locate one,pm me. I've got access to 8 different dvd-rw drives and hopefully 1 of them can recognize it. I'd booktype the newer backup to dvd-rom so you'd have a 99% compatability rate.

8. MysticE

MysticE Active member

It plays in his player. Are you saying that a PC drive needs booktyped +R's? And your 99% compatibility number is unsupportable and unbelievable.

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Pc dvd-rom and Dvd-rw drives can be just as picky as stand alone players,when it comes to playing other people's backups. The key word is "Other People's Backups" because you can't control how that backup copy was made in the first place. You're drives are basically at their mercy. Crappy media,crappy drive, too fast burn speed,sticker label,even certain burn engines can give a picky drive fits.

The backups play ok in a stand alone player,so there's a possibility it can be re-ripped-depending on crc errors.

I posted that if someone like bhermanjr sent me a problematic backup disc,and if I can successfully re-rip,then I'd set the new backup copy as dvd-rom so he'd have less chance of getting that no disc error. Then he'd have a lot easier time making as many copies of it as he desires.But, depending on his burner/media,some of his copies may do the same thing(NO DISC) on some of those other players of the family members.

A lot factors in with the quality of burner you got. Take my lil bro's sherwood player. It wouldn't play dash backups from my benqs.But it will play the dash backups from my older bro's pioneer.

Someone who plays their backups on a couple drives wouldn't notice the compatability factor between booktkyped and non booktyped backups. Someone who plays them on 200+ drives, does.

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

nice offer there buddy,

i go with dvdr dye codeing, try updating your firmware of the pc drive it does help reading discs!

use imgburn go to: TOOLS / DRIVE / check FIRMWARE updates

11. bhermanjr

bhermanjr Guest

thanks for all the input everyone. It must just be a crappy backup, it does play fine on a different pc, so that solves that. Thanks again.