1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Burning .avi Files To Playable DVD

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Neo1Code, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Neo1Code

Neo1Code Member

Hey, I know that this topic is on the boards already, and I'm sorry for repeating it, but the topics on the boards don't seem to help me. I have many episodes of TV shows that I want to put onto a playable DVD on normal DVD players. I have already tried Nero, Click2DVD, and Magic ISO for different ways to burn the .avi files onto a DVD disk. Click2DVD did the job, however two files around 229MB each ended up being 3.8GB on the DVD+Rs. I also tried to convert the .avi files into .mpeg files, but that also didn't work, mostly because once I had the .mpeg I didn't know what to do with them. The real point is to get the .avi files onto the DVD with a DVD menu so that I can choose between the episodes. Can anyone help me? Thanks,
    -Neo1Code

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

So, the basic problem is the size of the files after conversion from avi to dvd format? No audio sync problems?

Avi files converted to dvd format (mpeg2 in VOB format) will typically expand quite a bit. The one's I've done haven't blown up quite that much, but the difference in size can be substantial.

You've got two choices, I think. If the files are in dvd format, i.e. VOB files in VIDEO_TS folders, you can try reading them with dvd shrink and doing a "compilation." There's going to be some recompression involved, and therefore some loss of quality, but that's unavoidable. Hopefully it will be minimal, and acceptable. It may not even be noticable. To learn how to use dvd shrink to do a compilation, go to www.dvdshrink.info. There is a tutorial there on doing compilations in dvd shrink.

If the files are not in VIDEO_TS folders (or even if they are), the second approach would be to use dvd authoring software, like NeroVision Express. (There are other authoring programs. NVE just happens to be the one I use from time to time for tasks like this.)

Whatever route you go, you said you have "many" episodes. Don't expect to put more than 2-4 on a single dvd. Rule of thumb: 2 hours per dvd. That's 2 one hour shows, or 4 half-hour shows. And I guess that's if you are lucky. Having them in avi format to begin with complicates things.

3. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

Ulead Video Studio will work great for this you can import and combine the avi. files and it will show how much space you have left. the you can creat menus and scene selections at any point of the movie. then burn with that or create dvd files to a folder and burn with nero.