1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with choosing video card for gaming

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Wyattspop, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Hi Guys
    I need Santa help. My boy is getting into PC gaming and the card he's got is too weak/slow. His PC is an HP Pavillion P6803W. It's 4GB and has a stock ATI 4200 vid card. Please suggest an affordable card as he's only 8, most games he plays aren't too vid intensive and I'm on a budget (-;/
    Thanks so much

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the problem you might have is the power supply as only 250 watt as you ususally need 350+ watts when adding a videocard to a system. what is your total budget?

Wyattspop likes this.
  3. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Thank you "Santa" for replying. I'd like to do it for as inexpensively as possible as I'm on disability at Christmastime. I got run down by a Postal truck on my Ninja, but I digress.What I want is a low-to-mid-level card and whatever power supply will drive it. As long as he can play many of the games he likes (Five nights at Freddy's, Minecraft, maybe GTA) he'll be fine, keep in mind he's 8, he won't be playing the highest graphics games for a few years. I'd like to keep it around 2 bills so he has other things under the tree. Really kind of you to help. I'm very good with Wii, not good with PC gaming

4. ddp

were are you located?

Wyattspop likes this.
  5. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I almost forgot, he has only experienced video lag a few times, even playing GTA San Andres, and there isn't even a power supply on the PC now (just the regular 3 prong plug) how can you know which games require an adequate PS?

6. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Southern Cal Corona

7. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

PS You have helped me in the past, so I want to say thank you so very much in advance.

8. ddp

it has a power supply as that is what the 3 prong cord is plugged into. the videocard requires the powersupply & the game requires the videocard. this link will show what power supply to go for in your area as I'm in Canada which the link is too. http://www.canadacomputers.com/sear...1&ccid=33&cPath=33&pricerange=$25.00+-+$49.99 go for the big fan(5" dia) power supply as is quieter then the smaller fan power supplies. link for videocards http://www.canadacomputers.com/sear...1200&cPath=43_1200&pricerange=$0.00+-+$199.99

9. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

That's great...BTW, I think I know what you mean about the "stock" power supply, but I literally don't have it plugged into the HP supply block, it's just the cable I have...no power supply whatsoever.

10. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Hey, I hate to ask another question, but it's related (very) I forgot to tell you, last night his monitor got messed up, the video colors aren't working properly at all, everything on the screen has a blue tint to it, I don't know if it's the monitor or the video card going out. I think it may be the video card because I put my high end Samsung monitor from my PC onto his PC (same model HP P6803W) and the same problem exists. but I think the video card is not a separate unit, (integrated) What do I do now? I opened the case, reseated the card (but i think the only card was a memory card), I blew out the fans with compressed air, tried 3 different VGA cables, no help.

11. ddp

then how can the computer turn on if it does not have a power supply? get a new videocard as his is part of motherboard which has a pci\e 16 slot to take the new card..

12. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I'm sure I'm explaining this poorly, my laptop for example plugs into a block (power supply) and then into the wall. His desktop only has the cable, not the PS block, I can send a photo if you like. Unless the cable itself is a power supply, which seems unlikely.

13. ddp

his computer has the power supply in it as that is what the power cord plugs into besides the wall plug.

14. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Sorry I'm not usually this dense, is the PS inside the PC case itself?, because what I'm describing to you is this; the only thing he has is about a 6 foot long black cord, a 3 prong plug and "nothing else", no power supply box, just the cord. My HP laptop has the cord I'm describing, then it plugs into a 3 inch by 1.5 inch black box, and then into the wall. His desktop (and mine) have no block, just the wire. I'll look up what the stock PS for our PC's should look like now. Thanks for your patience. It has no AC adaptor is what I'm trying to say, just the cord.

15. ddp

the psu is inside the case.

16. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

on your case (if its a tower) back top corner will be where your powersupply is on the inside.as demonstrated in this pic.[​IMG]

17. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Well don't I feel like a bonehead...sorry, I'm used to seeing the big ol' blacl box that the cable plugs into, like my laptop PS. OK, so with this solved, I'll have to buy a new power supply to play more video-intensive PC games which means replacing the one inside my case I assume. If my video card is integrated, how do I upgrade my video card on the PC?
    Thanks

18. ddp

his motherboard has a pci express 16 expansion slot to take a videocard just like the older computers that have\had an agp slot to take a videocard.

19. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Now I understand. I saw 3 empty slots, I assume a couple are for memory, and one would be for video. Can you guys recommend an affordable video card to give his gaming just a little more "punch?" He's 8 so he isn't playing those war games, but would like his Minecraft to render just a little faster. In stock shape, he can even play GTA San Andreas, so it's not a bad PC (only 2 yrs old when new) and being 8, he's got about 90% free memory.
    Merry Christmas
    Tommy

20. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

ive heard the gigabye and his series 6000series 1gbs are going out for under $50 even the 2gbs would be cheap coming up to christmas or even after christmas (january sales).i think the hd7000series is 2gbs not 100% sure on that.

also on psu im using a cheap asian brand (think its ritek in my pc) and i have had the pc almost 5 years with no problems.I have seen various posts recommending only using brand name psu but mine been fine so far.