1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with cogswap method

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by matt11504, Feb 13, 2007.

1. matt11504

matt11504 Regular member

how do i boot backups using cogswap? i booted cogswap.elf and it says psx disc (my boot disc) do i do the slidecard method then put my ps2 back up in and wait or what?

2. HG27

HG27 Guest

I believe that you will need to press the eject button to pop out the tray then insert a high TOC game such as Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Sonic Heroes or some other game with lots of videos and data consuming content. Once you see that the high TOC game has loaded, then you will need to use the slidecard method or some other method of swapping the disc with your backup without the PS2 knowing you did so.
    You then can load the backup using the cogswap method.

3. rev1

rev1 Member

Don't know if it helps, but here goes anyway:

- Using the EJECT button at the COGSWAP screen (should say PSX CDROM if your "boot" disc was still inserted; and if not, it's blank), place your ORIGINAL high TOC DVD ROM game* (such as Devil May Cry or Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas [as was suggested]) into the disc tray and close as you normally would (using the system's EJECT button)

{*NOTE:One way I use to check which of my discs have a high TOC, or Table-Of-Contents, is by inserting the game disc into my computer's DVD ROM drive, and seeing how many Gigabytes it is. I'm not entirely sure if this is a correct method, but I assumed from all the posts and resources I've come across that this is what was meant by the amount of stuff crammed onto any given disc. So far it's worked for me (I'm using Devil May Cry for my DVD-5 backups). So basically, if your backup is for example, 3.6 GB's, a 4.2 GB original should be more than enough to boot it.
    One of the easiest ways however should be found right here in these forums, as someone has compiled a list of TOC ratings for a large number of games. I'm certain one of these in the list will most likely be found somewhere amogst your collection of games. }

- The icon onscreen will now change to a yellow-colored disc, and should say "PS2 DVDROM" in the text below.

- On your controller, hit the "X" or "O" button to load the disc's TOC. The icon onscreen will turn purple, and the text below it will say "Use Cogswap".

- Now, using whatever method it is you use to swap discs without using the system's EJECT button (flip top or slide card tool), open the tray and swap the ORIGINAL you were just using, for the backup.

- Again using whatever method it is you used to open the tray [flip top or slide card tool], re-close the tray making sure it is firmly closed in place, then hit "X" on your controller and your backup will boot.

4. matt11504

matt11504 Regular member

thanks now all i got to do is backup my games.