1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with compatibility of DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bwalter, Aug 23, 2002.

1. bwalter

bwalter Guest

I have been using the Panasonic DMR-E20, E30 and and HS-1 from Japan. All are stand alone DVD Recorders. It is said that DVD-Rs should play in about 80% of players. I have found only one player that will truely play these DVD-Rs, that is the Panasonic RP91. Many claim to play DVD-Rs, and most will read the disc and begin to play, but in every case they will begin to skip, lockup, freeze and then shut down. I have used many types of DVD-Rs and all are the same. They will play back perfectly in the recorders. I have tried over 40 players made in 2001 & 2002 that are listed as DVD-R compatible, but they are not. Does anyone have any idea what is the problem with these units. Is is simply the Panasonic unit. Would the stand alone Pioneer be better. I have tried players from Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, JVC, Sony, Panasonic & RCA and none really work. I am think of switching to DVD+RW, will it still be the same with it? Any ideas.

2. afogh

afogh Guest

My experience with DVD-R actually pretty much matches the claims of 80% compatabillity. However I would dare to claim that 80% of mastering software does not abide sufficiently to the mpeg stardard and as for the media's you may get very different results from different media. With DVD+R I had a worse results with set top players.

3. mvar

mvar Member

I own a Panasonic DMR-E20 stand alone DVD-RAM/DVD-R recorder and a HP200i PC burner. My experience with DVD-R and DVD+R compatibility has been outstanding. Every DVD-R and every DVD+R I have recorded has played in every stand alone player I have tried. Of course I do not claim I have tried every DVD player ever built. I tried my work in most recent (up to 18 months old) Sony and Panasonic players with no problems. I think that the main reason for my apparent luck with this issue is that I always use brand name certified DVD blanks. Specifically I use Verbatim, Panasonic, and Hewlett-Packard products.