1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Help with Component Out/DVD on Modded PS2

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by Braneworm, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Braneworm

Braneworm Member

Hi Folks,

I'm not certain my problem is specifically related to the fact that my console is modded, but the mod community is just about the only community still talking about PS2 in a technical/hardware/troubleshooting sense, so I'm hoping someone might have some insights on my issue.

I have an old modded PS2 I'd like to try and bring back to life. When it broke years ago, I didn't really have the technical comfort to go playing around in it, but after recently bringing my PS3 back from YLOD, I'm feeling a little bit cocky, and thought I'd take a closer look at this. It's an older (not slim) PS2, modded with a DSM4 chip (soldered version) and Toxic OS and a 250GB HDD.

Like so many tragic stories, everything worked beautifully until a cat happened. In this case, the cat pushed the console off the self, causing it to drop about 2 feet onto a hardwood floor. No obvious damage internally or externally, but after that drop, two things happened:

The component (Red Green Blue) video output no longer displays video at all.

If I plug in a composite (yellow) video cable, I get video, and it's clear that Toxic OS is working fine, I can play games (either from HDD or from a disc), run apps, etc. But if I try and play a DVD video, even with composite cables, I get no video. I get audio from the DVD's menu screen, so it's clear the PS2 is reading the disk, just not displaying it.

So it seems to me like the trauma incurred from the drop was isolated to the video outputs area. The cause of the PS3 YLOD got me thinking maybe my ps2 is experiencing something similar, and that maybe the fall created some cracks in the solder around the video output areas of the board that just need to be "reflowed", or something to that effect.

So I guess my questions are:

Has anyone else had an experience similar to the one I described above? and if so, how did you fix it?

If no one has a similar experience/solution, I am going to go with my hypothesis and try a reflow by first putting the MoBo in the oven at 170 degrees for a few hours (to reduce likelihood of warping the board) and then applying a heat gun to the areas of the board associated to the video outputs. So I'll obviously heat the area where the video connector meets the board (low setting on heatgun for 30 sec or so), but are there any other areas of the board associated with video output that I might want to consider inspecting for damage/heating?

Does anyone have any other hypotheses?

Any help would be appreciated.