1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Cooling Temps?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rob13, Apr 26, 2007.

1. rob13

rob13 Regular member

Hi, on my new PC, there is a program to view the Temps of the CPU, Fans, ect... Well, my problem is that the Temp. level of System Zone 1 and System Zone 2 go above Regulatory Temps. Can anyone help me with how to deal with this properly? I've got 3 Fans going right now....

2. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

thats not alot of info to work with.

what are your system specs (cpu, mobo) and what are the temps (in c) you are getting/hitting?

also what is this temp monitoring software called?

3. rob13

rob13 Regular member

Hi, the specs are:
    - Intel D925XBC Socket 775 mATX MOBO
    - X-Blade PC Case
    - Intel P4 550 800mhz 3.4Ghz CPU
    - Temp Program: Intel Desktop Utilities V. 2.0
    - TEMPS: CPU=142-144, S.Zone 1=123, S.Zone 2=128

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

5. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

if thats in f it means what..around 60c?

yep thats hot are all of your fans spinning? do your fans all push air in or suck it out or a nice ballence of the 2?

speedfan is good as it might let you adjust the speed of your fans too.

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I'd be afraid of toasting the CPU especially if these temps are without a big load.
    Have you overclocked this? Is this a PC you built? Is your heatsink installed correctly?

7. rob13

rob13 Regular member

Hi, Yes I built it, The Heatsink should be installed correctly...

8. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

If it was just a heatsink problem I don't think the other temps would also be so high. Need check your fan input/output like the man said and use the program that was mentioned because not all software is accurate. Then let us know what you get. It could be as simple as turning a fan in a different direction or adding a bigger one.

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I was looking at the program being used to monitor these temps and it's kinda vague where they are coming from...Zone 1 and Zone 2.

SpeedFan will give you a better idea of what's getting hot.

I Googled for the case and found this:
    http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews/xbladecase/
    It gets a pretty good review.
    Did you install an exhaust fan in the back? All the fans that came with it should be blowing into the case.

10. dragondog

dragondog Regular member

is liquid cooling for pc worth getting? what are the risks? what if i get a leak?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  11. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

If you are OCed so much that air cooling doesn't work then yes, you don't have any choice.

If you overclock to the point that you need it, then you will know that as well as the other risks. I'd visit some of the dedicated overclocking forums and read, read, read:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/11/overclocking-guide-part-1/
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/OCguide/
    http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?comments=1&head=1&pageid=6387

I have my quad core mildly overclocked from 2.66 to 3.0 with air cooling. I use a Thermalright Ultra 90 Heatsink and a Scythe 120mm fan which is very adequate for my setup.

12. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

looking at the case, and the review, if you dont have a 120mm fan on the rear pulling the air out i would turn the side panel around so it pulls some air out and then get one for the rear when you can.

try speedfan and everest to see what they say, then belive which ever matches up with another. if they say your still that hot i would check your heatsinks are fitted right.

edit

i hope you haven't fried it since your last post man.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  13. rob13

rob13 Regular member

Hi again, I haven't fried it yet, is it best to have a mix of fans to pull air in/out or just havethem 1 way? Also, I might reapply thermal grease on the CPU, what do you use to clean the Heatsink? You can use Alcohol on the CPU right?

14. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i have 3 1000rpm case fans (2 in 1 out) plus my psu (out) i think a ballance of in and out is the best. other say more in, others say more out. trail and error is the best way as you can always turn a fan around to test which works best for yours.

looking at the pics for that case i would get a fan for the rear and leave the 2 in as they are, but if i only had those 2 fitted i would turn the side one around so it pulls out and you psu pulls out at the top. i am guessing that with both of them pulling in you have a pocket of warm air at the top of your case and its not able to get out as the is only your psu pulling air out and the cool air is coming in under it and going out under it forcing the warm air to stay above.

if you are getting temps that high from speedfan too i would deffo refit the heatsink. i would also check the top of the cpu and the bottom of the heatsinnk with a knifeblade (or stanley blade) to see if they are flat, if not you may need to do some lapping. just be sure to use just enough paste. too much will cause it to cool less, this is not a time when more is better.

alcohol or Akasa TIM-Clean will do it, i use cotton buds/q-tips which i dip in it and rub, you will notice lines in the metel from where it was macined, go along these lines to clean them.

dont forget to ground yourself or use a anti-static mat or bracelet.

15. dragondog

dragondog Regular member

dont forget to ground yourself or use a anti-static mat or bracelet.quote

i heard the bracelets are just a wast of monye that all you need to do is be sure you hand rist or arm is touching the casing at all times.......

as for me i never could find where to get bracelets but iv learned to work with comp doing it that way..........please give info if im doing wrong and info on where to get mat and bracelets

16. rob13

rob13 Regular member

Do you use Alcohol on the CPU only or both the CPU and Heatsink? Also, would it make a differnece I bought a little better case?