1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solved Help with copying DVD files to PC with interactive menu?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Kotomine Kirei, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Kotomine Kirei

Kotomine Kirei Newbie

I want to have it on the PC, so that I do not have to keep taking the DVD out.
    I do not want to leave it in, since the DVD gets hot, and I do not want it to break or get scratched.

I have tried DVD Decrypter, and it did get the video, but it did not have the menu.
    Is it possible to get the video copied with the interactive menu?

If so, is there a tutorial?
    I have tried searching, but I may be using the wrong terms.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Are you referring to the program that was last updated in 2005?

http://www.videohelp.com/software/DVD-Decrypter

It does rip the menu and the folder can be opened in the likes of MPC-HC and the menu will work.
    Note however that DVD Decrypter may not work with a movie DVD that is newer than 2005.

3. Kotomine Kirei

Kotomine Kirei Newbie

Yes, that is the program.

The DVD is from 2003.

I am using the VLC media player, and it plays the video, but there is no menu.
    I am thinking that I must have not set something correctly before using the program, but I do not know what.

4. attar

attar Senior member

Typically the menu would be somethig like VTS_01_0.VOB
    Then the actual movie would start at VTS_01_1.VOB

It should be possible to drag the physical movie disk menu VOB file onto VLC and playback: the same for the ripped file (if it was in fact ripped).

I don't think VLC emulates a DVD player very well, that's why I suggest MPC.

5. Kotomine Kirei

Kotomine Kirei Newbie

Well, I tried MPC-HC, and it did not show any menu with either file.

6. attar

attar Senior member

The only way I would expect the menu not to be ripped is if 'Mode' was changed from 'File' to 'IFO'.

7. Kotomine Kirei

Kotomine Kirei Newbie

I did have the Mode set to IFO, but it still did not give the menu.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  8. syxguns

syxguns Active member

I have not used DVD Decrypter in years because it is not updated. Personally I use AnyDVD HD, but a free program that you can use to rip a DVD is DVDFab. The free version is updated, but it is generally weeks behind the update from the paid version. With the use of DVDFab you can place your movie on your computer with little effort. If you would like to burn it after that then you may need two other free programs to make a backup. DVDShrink is offered on Afterdawn and it is a free program to use to shrink the movie to a DVD-5. You may then use ImgBurn to burn the movie. Here is a helpful guide if you need it. Guide

This information is old school, as I do not follow this procedure any longer. I rip with AnyDVD HD, clean with DVDRe Make Pro, and burn with DVD Rebuilder. Also if I am burning a Blu Ray movie I burn movie only, as cleaning a blu ray is way too time consuming, and costly. In that case I use BD Rebuilder. I hope this information helps.

9. Kotomine Kirei

Kotomine Kirei Newbie

The problem is not ripping in general or burning.
    I just want to rip the DVD with the interactive menu intact.

10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

If the original dvd has a menu dvdfab will include it (deafult settings should rip menu auomatically if set to full dvd),for a 2003 dvd i'd use dvdshrink or dvdfab v8.both will rip it.To reduce size for a small amount of better quality run menushrink on the ripped dvd file,then check with vlc that navigation is ok (menushrink creates a backup folder inside the dvd which can reverse the process if required)

edit: menushrink just removes the animation of the menu,so now you'll get straight to the menu selection buttons,makes navigation faster

If you rip many dvd's i agree with syxguns that anydvd is a good choice.Anydvd is trial for 30 days so you could actually use that & edit out any previews & other crap with clonedvd from the same site

syxguns likes this.
  11. Kotomine Kirei

Kotomine Kirei Newbie

Well, I tried DVDFab (it was v9 though, as I was not sure where to get v8), and it did not work.

I then tried DVDShrink, and it worked!

Thank you and everyone else. :)