1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with copying DVDs created in recorder??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by lauz81, Jan 24, 2005.

1. lauz81

lauz81 Member

I have a Sony RDR-GX7 DVD recorder, and create DVD's from home videos of sporting events. I mainly use DVD-R discs and have tried all different brands. When I put them in my burner using Nero to copy them, I get the following errors:

Backup file "Video_TS.BUP" should be identical to
    "Video_TS.info."
    DVD_Video files compliance test failed. The resulting DVD Video may be
    unplayable. Do you want to continue?

I have also had "can only copy first data track" and it copies original within about 10 seconds, then asks for the blank disc.

Anyone know much about this? Is it a problem with the burner? Or recorder? I have a friend in the US who can copy these discs fine, with a Sony burner. A friend in Canada has another brand, and gets the same errors. I have created +RW discs, which have copied fine.

Please, someone must know something?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  2. lauz81

lauz81 Member

Anyone, please?

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

This is just a wild guess but may be the problem. I got involved with another member using a stand alone LG recorder. It seems the new recorders are able to put copy protection on everything they record. It is called CPRM which I think stands for Content Protection for Recordable Media. They are doing this so nothing recorded with these machines can be duplicated. See if your recorder book says anything about this CPRM. Its very new and not many people know about it. The member I was working with tried Shrink and Decrypter with negative results on breaking the encryption. I hope this isn't your problem because I don't know of any way around this at this time. Let us know what you find in the owners book on your machine.

Jerry

4. lauz81

lauz81 Member

Thanks for the info. I have done a web search, and have found: DVD-RW/-R (Video/VR Mode with CPRM). I guess that suggests that those formats have CPRM, and therefore cannot be copied. This seems to be my problem. I will have another go with the DVD+RW format since that has worked previously - and doesnt seem to have this CPRM thing.

Let me know if you find out any more / ways around this.

One question, if I was to make a DVD+RW in my recorder, and then copy on my computer to -R, would that -R disc then be fine to copy? Or would that, in turn, then have CPRM?

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

OK I to ran into this problem and thought the encryption was the problem, but it wasent.
    If you DVD recorder is anything like mine you have the option to record in VR or Video mode. Well most people record in the VR mode and this is where the problem is. If you record your shows in the Video mode and make sure the recorder finalizes the disk you should be able to then record it. At least this is what I found to work for me. :) I couldnt even read the disk's in my DVD ROM in the VR mode though can you?
    Your errors sound exactly like the ones I was getting though so I am guessing if you record in the Video mode and not the VR mode it should work for you also.

6. lauz81

lauz81 Member

I wish it was this simple :(
    I will double check, however I'm positive I'm using the Video mode, simply because I am definitely finalising the discs, and I can watch them on both my other DVD player, and my DVD-Rom.

7. lauz81

lauz81 Member

I found an online version of the manual.

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/video/manuals/sony_rdrgx7_eu_manual.pdf

On page 20 it has the recordable formats, and a little *2 which says CPRM is a coding technology that protects copyrights for images. This *2 is next to only one of the DVD-RW disc formats... I have never tried this? It is not next to DVD-R which I have the problem with?

It goes onto the next page about CPRM and copy signals. I am not an expert, so it doesn't make much sense to me. However, it seems as though DVD-R are copy free and therefore this shouldn't be the problem? Can anyone see otherwise? thanks.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Ok I didnt explain myself correctly.
    You can finalize in VR mode also.
    I can watch the DVD in my drive I just cant browse it correctly and see the files.

9. lauz81

lauz81 Member

I see. I will definitely check out my settings and see if this is the problem. I hope it is, as it's become such a frustrating thing. One interesting piece of info, however, is that a friend who has a Sony burner (as do I) was able to copy these discs fine. I haven't in two different burners, nor has one other friend... that makes me HOPE it is all possible in the long run!

However, in the manual (liked above) it says that VR mode is just for DVD-RW discs. I haven't used those before, therefore for just DVD-R discs, this couldn't be an issue?

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

That new encryption is going to become an issue. Several companies have adopted this CPRM encryption already. Right now its only on the stand alone recorders but I see future problems ahead. Decrypter would not crack it. I suggested the other member try Anydvd but never heard if it worked or not. These machines encrypt every recorded dvd. Even home movies which was the problem the other person had. I'm sure in time some company will crack the encryption but its another pain in the butt until that happens.

Jerry

11. lauz81

lauz81 Member

So I ended up decrypting the disc with dvd decrypter, and then burning in a newer version of nero, and it worked! So I don't know why it didn't before... very strange... so hope it works again.

I also had that AnyDVD program open. I don't know if that had something to do with it. When I put my original disc in, it posted the information and it said there were no encyptions or anything on the disc. Is there anything else you have to do? Do you just leave that program open when you are burning? As I did...

12. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

I don't own a DVD Standalone recorder but I own a Standalone Minidisc and CDR Recorder. Reading your reply's, It reminds me of a copyright protection system called Serial Copy Management System for Audio CDR. (SCMS). I'm unsure if this still is used, I assume it is because it was difficult to break or get around. that basically added a bit flag to the CDR disc and this prevented Digital Copying. Now there was ways around this and even so but it sounds like CPRM is similar?
    If I had known more about SCMS when I bought my minidisc/CD recorder etc, then I would have left the shop.

13. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Once you open Anydvd it just sits in the system tray and works in the background. You don't even know its there. If you still have the original, try running it through decrypter again without Anydvd. At this point it would be good to know if Decrypter worked or if it was Anydvd that worked for future reference. We may see more and more of this.

Jerry

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  14. lauz81

lauz81 Member

Anydvd is definitely doing its job. I tried to copy the disc without having Anydvd open. Decrypter did its job fine, as normal, but then when I put the files into Nero, it came up with the usual "DVD Compliance test failed, would you like to continue?" So I cancelled out, as I knew that it would not work from here. I decrypted the files again, with Anydvd open, and second time around - it all burned fine until the end... here is the log... any ideas on this error message?

6:36:28 PM #54 CDR -1194 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1659
    PMA update failure

6:36:29 PM #55 TRANSFER -24 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1659
    Could not perform end of Disc-at-once

6:36:29 PM #56 Text 0 File DVDR.cpp, Line 1743
    EndDAO: Last written address was -1

6:36:29 PM #57 Text 0 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1658
    Set remaining time: 0:00,000 (0ms) -> OK

6:36:29 PM #58 Text 0 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1658

6:36:29 PM #59 Phase 38 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1800
    Burn process failed at 4x (5,520 KB/s)

Just a question, when your trial runs out on Anydvd, are you able to get it again? Or is that it? I'll be lost without this thing now!

On another burn, I then had the error of power calibration error:

8:21:46 PM #49 CDR -1106 File Writer.cpp, Line 301
    Power calibration error

8:21:46 PM #50 Text 0 File ThreadedTransfer.cpp, Line 229
    all writers idle, stopping conversion

8:21:46 PM #51 Text 0 File ThreadedTransfer.cpp, Line 223
    conversion idle, stopping reader

8:21:46 PM #52 Text 0 File DVDR.cpp, Line 1743
    EndDAO: Last written address was -1

8:21:46 PM #53 Text 0 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1658

8:21:46 PM #54 Text 0 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1658

8:21:46 PM #55 Phase 38 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1800
    Burn process failed at 4x (5,520 KB/s)

And one more question, I don't mind using dvd decrypter as it is a fairly quick exercise. However, if I was to have Anydvd open and then do a straight copy within Nero, do you think this will also work? Should I try? Or best going through decrypter also? Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005