1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with CPU 100% usage

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by mrcool_g, Jun 16, 2007.

1. mrcool_g

mrcool_g Member

ok ive browsed around different threads, here is my problem

i have a compaq presario (R4000) laptop with 512 mb ram and 80gb disk space...ive never had any problems that either system restore or formatting couldnt solve..but after being unsuccessful with both i come to you guys again. my systems cpu usage jumps to 100% when i open different programs, sometimes its the media players, sometimes its the browsers, sometimes its even office.. i cant play any of ym games any more cos it keeps getting stuck and the same case with movies...now im guessing its either a memory issue or a hard disk issue..ive defragged my hard disk as welll but no change..sometimes my laptop jus shuts off by itself..and yea i believe my fan is a lil louder than usual sometimes..so ill be glad if i can get any help cos its been goin on for more than 2 months now and i need a fix...thanks in advance

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

hmmm, I think your cpu is overheating. How many processes are you running? If it is more than 50, then some of them should be disabled. This could also be related to a malware infection.

3. mrcool_g

mrcool_g Member

hey ,
    thanks for the quick reply...i usually have between 32-37 processes running..ive never really checked for malware i guess..could u suggest some free programs that scan/repair malware? ( also shouldnt formatting take care of any kind of malware? )

4. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Yes, reformating will take care of all of the malware on your computer (as well as all the programs that you have because reinstalling windows will delete everything on your HDD)

For malware, I would suggest a program called AVG free: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

That is probably the best protector out there that is free. (In my opinion)

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum

6. mrcool_g

mrcool_g Member

sorry bout that ddp.... and @ waymon3x6 - i have formatted my laptop before and i was still facing this problem...it heats up alot...u think that could be the problem? any fixes for the laptop heating up?

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

get a laptop cooler which is like a tray that the laptop sits on & there are fans on that tray to cool down the laptop. another possiblilty is a windows update might be causing the problem, which 1 i can't remember.

8. mrcool_g

mrcool_g Member

so ur saying one of the windows updates i have installed mite be the problem? and also thanks for the info about the fan cooler..ill see if i can pick up one this week.. ill wait a few days and post again later..thanks to everyone who helped