1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Custom Firmware

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by BigPoppa2, Jan 16, 2008.

1. BigPoppa2

BigPoppa2 Member

Hey whats up guys!
    I have firmware 3.80 now. I was just reading about some
    custom firware 3.80 3mm made by Dark Alex. There are some updates
    for it, which I can find, but I cant find the original firmware that he made.

For example, I was looking at a site that there is an addon 150 which I guess makes the psp act like firmware 1.50 which then I can use
    to get games and what not. Thats what I want to do. I just need some help of what I need to do. Maybe a link or two...or some directiong anyways. Mostly I want to be able to get either homebrew in, if possible, or put emulators so I can play the old sega, and snes, and nes games.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. BigPoppa2

BigPoppa2 Member

By the way...I have a FAT psp

3. acidy

acidy Regular member

It's the 3.80m33 ^_^
    And the 1.50 addon will add the 1.50 kernel to your PSP which allows you to play 1.50 homebrews while the PSP still being on 3.80 firmware ^_^

You'll need to downgrade your firmware to 1.50 and then install the custom firmware :) (Taking into consideration that you have the "official" sony 3.80 firmware)

Use this guide OR this guide (If you have another PSP with custom firmware) to downgrade your PSP ^_^

And then use this guide to upgrade to 3.80m33-4 ^_^

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  4. strygwyrm

strygwyrm Regular member

if ur still ahving trouble finding the updates look at dark-alex.org

5. BigPoppa2

BigPoppa2 Member

Im there. And I got the add on files. But there's no guide on what I have to do and where I have to put it.

6. BigPoppa2

BigPoppa2 Member

Great! Thanks! One thing though...Do I need to do everything it says on the guide. I mean about the part of the pandora battery. Do I really need that? And how big a stick do I need to do this? One more question...If I make the pandora battery...does that mean that I cant use the battery as a regular computer?

7. acidy

acidy Regular member

Yeah ^_^
    You MUST have to make the pandora battery ^_^
    You can also buy it though >_>

Well, you need a "memory stick pro duo" with "256mb - 2GB" space :)
    ('Memory stick duo' won't work and some '4GB sticks' don't work either)

Also, you'll have the option to revert your PSP battery after making it into a pandora battery ^_^

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  8. BigPoppa2

BigPoppa2 Member

Thanks for that. I went to the guide that was left for me and last night finally decided to go for it. So I downloaded the files and did as the guide said. Format the stick, drop in the files, copy the psp folder over, copy the game folder and the 1.50 file thing. Well, I go to the game and go to run the OS PANDORA BATTERY TOOL but I get the following error "The game could not be started" (80020148)
    What does that mean? Did I miss a step? What should I do next?

9. acidy

acidy Regular member

I think you followed the 2nd guide I gave you rite ??? ^_^

Well, you must not run the files through 'your' PSP !!! (As you have official firmware)
    You should run the files through 'another' PSP that has "1.50" or custom firmware ^_^
    And then it will make the pandora battery and also, before turning your battery to a pandora one, back-up your battery (There is an option for it in the application) and then turn it to the pandora battery ^_^

And then put that pandora battery and memory stick you made in 'your' PSP and 'your' PSP will get downgraded ^_^

But if you don't have any friend or anyone that has a PSP with a 1.50 or custom firmware, follow the 1st guide I gave you ^_^
    You'll have to BUY the pandora battery though >_>

10. BigPoppa2

BigPoppa2 Member

You are right. When I posted that message I did use the second guide. I misread the information and went with it. Then I realized the difference between the two of them and went and did the first guide. I have made the memstick. No problem there. I think a friend of my cousin made his 2nd psp (my cousin's) into custom firmware 3.72 m33 or something like that. So Im either going to use my cousin's psp or just have his friend do mine and maybe have him use my memstick so that he can make it 3.80 m33 update4 with the 1.50add on.
    Now one quick question...Where can I get ISO or w/e I need in order to get the games into the psp. I want to learn so that I can do it for my cousin and of course for me.

Thanks for all your help man. I appreciate it.

11. acidy

acidy Regular member

aahh Koool 8)
    So, remember, if you're going to downgrade your PSP using 'another' PSP with custom firmware, then use the 2nd guide and if u don't have another PSP, then use the 1st guide ^_^

Also, if you want to use the battery as a normal battery, after making the pandora battery, then see this :-
    But while running the "Pandora's Battery Creator" program on the PSP and press 'Triangle' "/\" to back up the contents of your battery's flash into a file on you memory stick. The program will automatically exit. And then only run the battery creator to change your battery to a pandora battery ^_^
    SOURCE : HERE

okies, now to your quick question :-
    Well, I can't give you any site name as it's against the forum rule >_>
    But you can download them from torrents ^_^
    And after you download them you'll get it in .iso/.cso format ^_^
    Put them in the ms0:/ISO folder (Where ms0:/ is your PSP drive) of your PSP ^_^

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  12. BigPoppa2

BigPoppa2 Member

Thanks for the info. Since my psp is firmware 3.80 and I think that my cousin's friend mem stick only has til upgrade 3.71m33 (thats wat he got for my cousin) should I tell him to put it up to that or should I have him use mine which has the 3.80m33 cf? Ive read on some post that 3.80m33 has some issues where it lags..is that true? Have you any idea about that?

Thanks again

13. acidy

acidy Regular member

Yeah ^_^
    It has a problem loading .iso games >_>
    3.71m33-4 is the BEST man :D
    I'm using it and NO PROBLEMS at all ^_^

You also upgrade your PSP to 3.71m33-4 after you downgrade your PSP ^_^

14. BigPoppa2

BigPoppa2 Member

Ok man! Kool! Thanks for all the help. Today I saw my cousin and found a good site for getting the files. They come in .cso format and I taught him how to do it and what not. Now all I need is for his friend to downgrade my psp and Ill be set. Thanks again for everything!

15. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

moved to the mod and firmware forum