1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with dvd's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by crocky, Jan 29, 2005.

1. crocky

crocky Member

can anyone please help me? i am running windows xp and have download a film from the net. i have then tried to burn it using nero and tmpg enc. up to now all seems ok. using my NEC 3520 i have then written them to disc (datawrite 4.7 dvd r). again no problem, when i then try to play them in my dvd player thats when the problems start, i just can't get them to play. as you might gather i am a rather new to all this. any help would be appreciated. cheers crocky

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

What dvd player do you have, and what media format are you using? Dvd players can be picky about what dvd media formats they will play. DVD-R is probably more broadly compatible with the most dvd players. A lot of dvd players don't like DVD+R or RW's.

3. crocky

crocky Member

hello, the dvd player is a panasonic dvd-s35.
    as regards to the media format, i'm not to sure as to what you mean, sorry.
    cheers

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Media format = +R -R +RW -RW ROM RAM

Most newer players will play most of the formats except RAM. ROM is a pressed commercial DVD like you would buy or rent. +R and -R are two different recording formats for burn once dvds. +RW and -RW are two different formats for erasable (burn many times) dvds. Some older players tend to like -R better than +R, although I've never had a player that failed to play any of the formats. Often it's not the format that the player chokes on but the particular media that's being used. There are all types of manufactured media available for sale. Some is excellent, some is good, and some is, well, crappy. If it says manufactured in Japan on the box, it's probably pretty good. Unfortunatelysome of the Datawrites are manufactured by Princo and they are crappy for the most part. Datawrite also buys and rebrands disks from other better manufacturers. I have no way of knowing which you have. You can use the Nero Info Tool to determine the disk manufacturer.

Some questions.

Does the disk play in the burner you used to create it?

What was the speed of the media used and at what speed did you burn? Often burning at a slower speed than max (say 4x) will enhance playback.

Have you tried a different brand of dvds? Purchase and use a +RW or -RW erasable dvd disk until you figure out the problem to avoid burning useless coasters.

5. crocky

crocky Member

thanks.
    the media format is dvd r
    the speed of the media was 8x, and i burn at the speed the burner sets, usually max.
    no i have not tried any different types yet.
    yes it does play in my burner.
    the manufacturer is TTGO2.
    hope that helps and thanks for the erasable tip.
    cheers, crocky

6. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member