1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Error Message 05

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by SAFC1973, Feb 19, 2007.

1. SAFC1973

SAFC1973 Member

My box is softmodded and I recently updated my drive to a 80gig and also the dash on my xbox and installed XBMC using AID3.0 but now when I boot up all i get is error message 05. I've tried to re-boot using AID 3.0 but it stills goes to error 05. if I put my original 10gig drive in before i updated i get error message 21. With the 80gig drive in I cannot play original games but with the 10gig drive in I can. Can anyone help me with my little ptoblem?

2. steimy

steimy Active member

5 - kernel - HDD not locked (The retail xbox bioses require the hd to be locked)

When you upgrade your hard disk drive for one that is larger, you most of the times use a new hard drive that you bought in the shop. Now, when you put this hdd in your xbox and you try to boot up with your chip off. It gives you error 5. Why you ask? Well i will try to explain it simple.

The original (also called "Retail") hard drive is locked by MS. Why did they lock the harddrive?

Well if it wasn't it wouldve been more than easy (in the start of xbox hacking)
    for hackers to change content on it. Thats why MS locks it. It is just a security measure.

This locking proces uses information thats on the motherboard. The "Lock" on a xbox hard drive contains information that is based on the harddrive itself and the motherboard it came with.

One thing that makes this clear: You can not change a retail harddrive with another one from an other not modded xbox. With every xbox there is only ONE i repeat ONE compatible harddisk drive. That is, if they are locked.

If you don't mod your xbox (tsop or modchips) you can not change harddrives. Not even from another xbox. However when your xbox IS modified you can change your harddisk for almost every other harddisk (thats UNLOCKED). This means that even when your xbox is modified, you can not just put another (retail) XBOX harddisk in your xbox. However some smart people made programs that can lock or unlock your xbox harddisk on the fly.

So when does the error occur? The only time this error should occur is when you boot up your xbox in original mode AND you have a harddisk in your xbox that is not yet locked. So now you ask what do i have to do to make your xbox work again?

Well the answer is pretty easy. Boot up your xbox with the chip on. Preferably with a slayer evo-x cd. Now you choose "Eeprom management." Than you choose: "Lock hdd." It takes one second. After its ready it should say something like "Done"
    When it is "Done" just turn off your xbox. Disable your chip and try to boot in original mode. Now there should be no more error 5.

3. SAFC1973

SAFC1973 Member

My xbox has no chip. It was 'Flashed' (whatever that means).It won't even boot Slayer 2.7 or AID 3.1, even though they both worked on a friends xbox. To complicate matters even more, my two drives work perfectly ok in my friends xbox. Is there an easy solution which i'm missing or should i get the xbox re-flashed or even chipped?

4. steimy

steimy Active member

A chip would be the better of the two choices and from what i hear installing a solderless is very easy.
    after that it should read burned discs again and you would be able to format the drive and reinstll using slayer.
    But for the best results you can have it repaired and chipped at a good online shop like Teammodders. That way you know it will be in 100% working order when you get it back.