1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with esata hard drive

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by 9161lee, Sep 29, 2011.

1. 9161lee

9161lee Regular member

Hello

I have an esata HDD connected to a DM800hd
    but everytime the power is disconnected from the HDD sometimes accidentally
    The HDD deletes everything that has been recorded, is there a way to stop this?
    Cos it's virtually useless if I can't

Can someone help with this?

Thanks
    Leanne Xxx

2. piopat

piopat Active member

leanne fintann might be a good person to ask about your hard drive ,if there is a way to sort it im sure he will know .

3. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

for starters the data is not deleted from the hard drive. the issue is the interface card within the esata drive. the firmware gets corrupted and as such access to hard disk data is not allowed. i've had similar problems. i have had two esata drives, one a lacie and the other an aldi version. the lacie has never given me problems (have it for two years now) while the aldi one has been a consummate pain in the ass. eventually i ripped it apart, took the hard drive out and installed it internally within my system.if you have a dm800 you will find that you have a spare red cable which has both power and data connectors. these you connect internally within the dm800 and the other end fits directly to the hard disk. so steps are
    - open dm800
    - disconnect cable that runs from esata port within dm800
    - connect extra red cable supplied with dm800, the places that they connect to are obvious
    - run the cable out through the backplate of the dm800
    - open your esata hard drive
    - disconnect all the parts and remove the hard drive
    - connect the hard drive to the cable running out of the back of the dm800
    - you will have to initialize the hard drive
    and that will be it. You will have no further problems storing films on your hard drive