1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with finding DVD media and good backups

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by KoMoDo89, Mar 4, 2007.

1. KoMoDo89

KoMoDo89 Member

yo,

i had to format my computer a few months back, before i did i used Alcohol 120% on 2X speed (theres no 1X there if i reckon right) to burn a game and it worked okish (my ps2 chip is a bit fucked so sometimes it wont load the game and i have to reset, and im not sure about the in-game movies they are lagging too) but after the format it just became a pain, for example, i have both PES 5 and PES6, i burned PES 5 before the format and PES 6 after the format. PES 5 works much better, game loading is normal, i think the in-game movies are smooth or close to that, and in PES 6 its a pain, takes a few resets to get it to work, the intro movie i always skip cause it just freezes every 1-2 seconds or so.. and the loading times are a PAIN, i just played at a friend's house yesterday and WHAT a difference, i think the game's speed itself is even faster and that just changes everything.
    i am using Verbatim DVD-r's i notice there are two kinds, i can get you a picture of how it looks if thats important, the dye is bluish/purple.
    i do have to point out ive tried numerous proggies and Alcohol 120% seemed to work best atleast before the format.. i also tried opening my ps2 and cleaning the lens etc, that helped a little. pretty sure i will just have to dump the PES 6 i have as an iso on my computer and then use some other DVD-R or some other proggie to get it to work.
    i have a NEC 3520A, maybe i just need a firmware update or the likes ?

Any help is appreciated and sry for the long message

2. KoMoDo89

KoMoDo89 Member

what a helpful forum.. please, someone...
    i was thinking of getting some HDloader or HDadvance and buying like a 40gb HD how does that work? i also need an ethernet card

3. steimy

steimy Active member

"what a helpful forum.. please, someone"

things like that are not going to get you much help. People donate their time here so they answer when they can.

But 2X may be screwing you up. If you have 8X discs you want to burn them at 4X. If they are 16X then you can start by trying 4X, then 6X then 8X as the 16X discs can be different for different people. I do them at 4X but other people swear that they have to use 6X or 8X to get good results.
    Verbatims should be good media. I always swear by DVD Decrypter for burning. And also IMGburn if you are just burning an ISO and not backing up from an original.

another possible problem is your burners firmware. Look on the internet and see if what you have is the latest version, the reformat should not have effected what you have but it is always good to have the newest. It will help with media compatibility and burn quality.

lastly you can try cleaning the laser on the PS2 and see if that helps if nothing else did.

adjusting the laser can be done but i would not do this if the majority of your games work fine.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  4. KoMoDo89

KoMoDo89 Member

sry i was just getting a little impatient :)
    adjusting the laser - i was too afraid to do but what i did do is just get those clothes that you wipe glasses with from my dad and the little liquid that comes with it and rub it on the lens.. then no game worked for quite a while as the laser was filled with water but eventually it did help a little :) my dad just visited the US and brought me back some DVD+R's i told him only DVD-R's but ill give that one a go.. i guess the best way to re-rip PES 6 will be with alcohol 120% and then re-burn it with alcohol 120% once, imgburn or dvd decrypter? i think dvd decrypter only burned .img but i might rip the PES 6 with dvd decrypter then.
    i guess i should try 4X aswell, these are 8X so ill try 2X and then 4X with a few of the proggies, if you mix all the possible burning options i can come up to 6 DVD's spent and thats a total waste so i need to minimize my options somehow heh

another option my bro thought of was getting HDloader or HDadvance but for that ill need to buy a HD and a network adapter for the PS2 so i figured its not worth it as i mainly play Tekken 5, PES 6 only with friends.. and also my dad brought me Guitar hero but thats an original.. so i think ill just try and get the PES 6 working the way it should.

i did find a firmware update so you think its a good idea to flash the drive now? might make wonders who knows :D i still have 1 Verbatim DVD-R left in that spindle how do you think i should burn it ?

Thanks for the help

5. steimy

steimy Active member

yes, newer firmware is always better.
    Cleaning the lens you should always use a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol. And when you do it make sure the cotton ball is just damp and not really wet.

6. KoMoDo89

KoMoDo89 Member

ok, im going to flash the drive before i go to bed and try burning that last Verbatim tomorrow with Alcohol 120% on 4X after ripping that PES 6 i have with alcohol 120% aswell :) we'll see what follows after that, ill try those DVD+R's maybe in some freak way they may work best hah. me and my imagination :D

7. KoMoDo89

KoMoDo89 Member

wow.. im in total shock lol, i ripped the baby with alcohol 120% and dvd decrypter decided on burning the last Verbatim on 4X via alcohol 120% on dvd decrypters rip.. the movie didnt have a single lag and i doubt the game will lag too.. firmware went from 1.04 to 3.07 rofl im just in shock :D now my only worry is the laser going bad heh

Thanks much

8. steimy

steimy Active member

i would figure the laser is ok if all your others play fine.
    Just keep the consistent way of burning (i prefer DVD Decrypter for both the ripping from disc and burning) and see if they all start working. If so it was simply just the old firmware.

9. KoMoDo89

KoMoDo89 Member

well yea i might mess around a bit more and try 1X on dvd decrypter on a different game, then 4X if it wont go well, or just stick to Alcohol 120% on 4X thats what ill do most likely. no need to waste discs and experiment eh ?:D