1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with flashing key to new hitachi 78 drive

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by revdragon, Jan 18, 2008.

1. revdragon

revdragon Member

hi all.
    Ive recently just purchased a new Hitachi drive version 78k as my old hitachi version 59 decided to stop reading discs all together how ever im having problems copying my old key from my 59 drive to my new 78 drive the guide i followed is as follows
    The very first thing you want to when you receive your Hitachi drive is flash it with the latest hacked firmware using the latest firmware flashing tutorial. Do not worry about keys or anything yet, just flash the drive with the hacked firmware first. It won't work in your 360 yet, but flashing the drive is the first step.

Once you have the drive flashed, there are two things that need to be done in order to make it work in your Xbox 360. Both processes will be done using Maximus 360 Firmware Toolbox. So download that first.

You will need to get your flashed drive back into ModeB and visible in Windows, just like you did to originally flash the drive. You can use the Slax CD to do so.

When the drive is visible in Windows, open 360 Firmware Toolbox.

First, use 360 Firmware Toolbox to open your original firmware from your dead Samsung drive. When it opens the firmware, it should display a drive key in the textbox. Highlight the entire key, right-click, select copy.

You're finished with the Samsung firmware now. Next you will need to dump the current firmware from your Hitachi drive.

Code:
    Tools > Direct Drive Dump (GDR Only)

If you have a v78 Hitachi drive, select "Raw dump firmware as..." and save it as original.bin somewhere safe. If you have any other version Hitachi drive, select "Classic dump firmware as..."

The program may complain about needing an original game or DVD in order to dump the firmware. Eject the drive tray open, set an original DVD or game in the tray. Press the eject button once and then push the tray in manually with your hand, in order to keep the drive closed. Then try dumping the firmware again.

When it dumps the firmware, it will ask you if you want to do a checksum and if you want to open the firmware, select Yes for both of them.

With this firmware opened, it should show the drive key from the Hitachi drive in the textbox. Your goal is to replace the drive key on the Hitachi drive with the key from your Samsung original.bin. Remember, you copied it to your clipboard. So, highlight the entire Hitachi key, right-click, and select "Paste". It should have pasted in the key from your Samsung drive. Now select the button to the right to Replace the key.

Now, you want to change only the key sector of your current Hitachi drive. You want everything else to remain the same. To do that:

Code:
    Tools > Direct Drive Flash (GDR Only) > Flash Keys

Flash the key sector to the drive. When it is done, hit Back/Cancel to go back to the main window of 360 Firmware Toolbox.

Now, we have the Samsung drive key on your Hitachi drive, but you also need to spoof the firmware on the drive. To do that, go to:

Code:
    Tools > Spoof Firmware

Select Toshiba-Samsung MS25 or MS28 from the list, depending on what drive your dead Samsung is. Leave the checksum as Master Checksum and select "Apply Spoof."

Almost there, just one last part left...

Code:
    Tools > Direct Drive Flash (GDR Only) > Flash String ID (Spoof data)

Flash the drive and when it says Ok, you're all done. Power off the PC and 360, and test to make sure the new drive works in your system.

however after following all these steps it still doesnt seem to read the discs have i missed something or is this guide wrong can any one help me sort this out thanks

2. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

to me it sounds like your games are burnt improperly or your discs are just bad.

3. guessswho

guessswho Regular member

am I reading this wrong, or does the very first step say to flash your drive and don't worry about the drive key?

4. waxydead

waxydead Member

Ok, I am havign the same problem also trying to spoof a SamsungMS28 to replace my Hitachi drive....I still havent been able to get the Samsung to play xBox games (retail or burned) and i have burned ALOT of games before so i know its not a burning problem. Also when i put the game in the xBox it says" Please put this disc in an xBox 360 console" but the xBox will still play movies.

5. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

it is your key not injected improperly or you have the wrong key.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  6. waxydead

waxydead Member

Ok so if i injected the wrong key is there anyway to find the right key again?

7. simian340

simian340 Member

I had to install a new Hitachi drive and was unable to extract the key from the old drive before flashing the firmware on the new drive. I have flashed the new drive with iXtreme 1.5 but games are not recognized. What can can be done too get this new Hitachi drive to play original or backup games?