1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with flashing my Spider Chip

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by DANAD, Dec 29, 2004.

1. DANAD

DANAD Member

Hey guys.....I thought everything was going good i finally got my xbox to stay powered on with the spider chip installed i dont know if the wires were loose or what....but anyways it loads up when i turn it on and gives me the option of loading from disc....loading from hdd etc....i select load from disc because i have burned a bios and dummy file onto a dvd....and then the tray ejects i but the dvd in the drive it says waiting for drive......and then just sits there and after about a minute ejects the tray.....it doesnt flash the chip at all....i dont know what to do can any one help me.....thanks

2. osanekun

osanekun Member

The fact that you get the Cromwell Bios screen with the option to flash the chip means that your wires are all in place or you would get FRAG'd (flashing red and green). Could be the media your using, especially if you have an older box that has a crappy DVD-ROM drive that is very picky about what you put in there. There is a manual on the Spiderchip website that explains how to flash the chip and how to setup the options in NERO when burning, they also recommend CD-RW for flashing from a optical media. You can find the manual for reflasing the chip here
    http://www.spiderchip.com/manual.html
    Make sure what version your box is before your flash it because if you flash the wrong Bios for the wrong version box you may be stuck with that Bios on your chip unless youve got a programmer or can figure out how to flash it from another xbox.

3. Troa

Troa Member

I do it the way that Spiderchip.com says to flash it, and I still get nothing... any bright ideas about that?

4. DANAD

DANAD Member

hey it finally worked when i burned it to a cd-rw thanks alot

5. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

Yeah use cd-rw TDK is good.

6. osanekun

osanekun Member

Troa, I understand your frustration, I've been there and your not alone dude but no need for the attitude (and yes, the Spiderchip site doesnt give you much info). First of all, were you able to get to the Cromwell screen where the options for the Spiderchip are available? If so try different media but make sure its RW, CD-RW worked great for me but I've heard that DVD-RW works great too. I've had instances where it didnt read the RW on the first try so I just rebooted and tried again and it worked fine. Icarbutt says TDK, sounds good to me.

7. Troa

Troa Member

I got it to work. I had to put the original HDD back into it and it worked. Then I switched it out and it works great. Thanks for the help guys

8. ghee22

ghee22 Member

Ok, I have searched for about an hour and come to this conclusion about flashing your Spiderchip 1.0/1.1 cromwell bios.

step 0.
    install spiderchip 1.0 following these directions
    http://www.spiderchip.com/manual.html
    NOTE: spiderchip 1.1 directions are not up yet!! I will edit this post when it is.

step 1.
    First, you should flash with Evox M8plus OR Evox M8plus16 based on the following logic:
    Your xbox version is ( http://www.xbox-scene.com/versions_1.php ):
    1.0 - 1.5, use M8plus.bin
    1.6 - 1.6b, use M8plus_16.bin
    Do not ask where to find this bios bin. You may PM me and i'll find someone who can help or use this guide http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/xbins.php.

step 2.
    have a 50 mb dummy file & blank CD-RW ready. follow these directions direct from spiderchip.com: http://www.spiderchip.com/Spider-flash.pdf

step 3.
    grab Slayers Evox Auto-Installer 2.6 and boot your newly modified XBOX with it.
    Again, do not ask where to find. You may PM or use this guide http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/xbins.php.

step 4.
    Select Make Backup

step 5.
    FTP into your XBOX using free open-source FileZilla ( http://filezilla.sourceforge.net ) using this tutorial ( http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/pc-xbox-ip-conf.php ). COPY YOUR ENTIRE C: & E: drives onto your computer harddrive. You may also be looking to install a new HD. Use these directions:
    http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/hdd-install2.php

Something broken? Try this ( http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/leds.php ) or this ( http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/errorcodes.php ) and then ask questions!

Hope this helps...

- ghee22

9. sunce

sunce Member

is the spider chip any good? i hear xenium was the best.

10. osanekun

osanekun Member

sunce, the Xenium is defintely better than the Spiderchip in terms of features. The Xenium has memory big enough to hold a few different bios' and has alot of failsafe features on it (like backing up the original bios) in case you mess up something where as the Spiderchip just has enough memory for 1 256k bios and if you want to reflash it, its a pain to do so without a programmer but basically they both do the exact same thing which is allow you to boot another bios other than the MS retail bios. If you have a version 1.6 or 1.6b then its your only solderless solution but it does work great on older models as well and cost almost half the price of the Xenium.

11. chroag

chroag Member

Has someone get to flash the spiderchip in a 1.6b version xbox? I have tried everything without success. Thanks.

12. sunce

sunce Member

osanekun i hear that solder for xenium is better than the solderless because it keeps the chip in place better. the solderless xenium adapter only works for versions 1.0-1.4 so thats why im probably going for the solder.

13. nughaud

nughaud Member

I just wanted to tell you the only way I could get a BIOS loaded on my 1.0 SPIDERCHIP on a 1.0 XBOX.

This is a horror story, but ends happily since I had all the stuff I needed.

First, the directions do not work... They did not for me and I tried repeatedly. Who knows what they really are. Here is what happened today.

I had a fun time today trying to mod an xbox with my 1.0 SpiderChip on a 1.0 XBOX.

The (Thompson) DVD drive wasn't working with DVD-RW or CD-RWs. fusk Thompson on this one. I tried reburning, but nothing worked.. I know Thompson's suck at reading data but come on now.

I even tried a regular CDROM, off of a PC, (I was bored) and the XBOX saw the drive, but I think it was too old and couldn't read CD-RWs.

Well, I had a buddy's XBOX which had been modded with an Xenium CHIP! Which I was going to get but I NO! I tried this SpiderChip! This was my fault.. Shoot me now. So I took apart apart my friend's xbox, and used his Samsung DVD drive. It had no trouble reading the Discs but the SpiderChip bios flash said that it could not LOCATE a BIOS on the DISC... What! I tried both CD-RW and DVD-RW and the same thing came up. I named the file bios.bin and it wasn't finding it. (So Much for the instructions manual on the www.spiderchip.com website) THE SHIT JUST WASN'T WORKING.

So, I did one of the last things, I rigged it up with his HARDRIVE and DVD Drive and then I loaded a new bios off his C:\bios dir which we had FTP'd to his XBOX earlier.

Guess what! The shit loaded just fusking FINE! I was then able to FTP into it after booting one last time off the EVOX HD replacement CD.

Lemme just say that this is one bullshit CHIP. The website is SUPERNICE, but the Hardware is fusking joke. I don't normally go off but when I spend half my afternoon on something which should take me 1 hour at most, I'm going to let loose. If I had the Xenium chip this would of been done in no time.

The SpiderChip also only supports 1 256K Bios! OMG, what a RIP. Xenium supports multiple ones and can backup in case your flash goes bad.

All I can say is TWO BIG ASS THUMBs down. I can only give it half a star since it does work, but what if I didn't have a buddy's HD to load a bios off of? I don't know if I would of finished yet.

Do youself a favor, pay the extra money for a Xenium Chip and don't fusk with a SpiderChip unless you like to waste your time, and curse.

Believe me it's a joke.

14. sunce

sunce Member

LOL AMEN

15. e.j.fudd

e.j.fudd Member

ok then i have fallen for it...

i ordered spidy and got the 1.0 version, went to install on freinds 1.0 box...cromwell bios screen comes on fine but the damn thing has spit out every disk i can think of, and i have tried multi prog, along with variant burners, from new to old.tried swappin hdd from new blank to original 8.4 gig to another with evox already rollin.....

i cant even get a "cant locate bios" "your burning abilty suxs" or even an "i r angry with you human go away" from the damn chip, just pretty blue lights...

16. nughaud

nughaud Member

YEP,

You got F'd by them... who knows but they need to burn in Hell.

As you probably read I just posted the same thing, and had the same problems. What a terrible company this is.

17. HaloSnipa

HaloSnipa Member

Are the tutorials on on spiderchip.com worth downloading and i have v. 1.6 xbox so do u guys recommend this chips for me?

18. sunce

sunce Member

i recommend xecutor or xenium dude. i have a 1.6 too but im going softmod it this time.

19. HaloSnipa

HaloSnipa Member

Do u know where Xenium chips are sold? If i get oen should i soft mod like u say your going to, if you do soft mod it, post back if you can and tell me how its working plz thx man

20. bagong

bagong Member

hey .... i Have a problem with the spider chip v1.0. i have been red thru the tutorial and i followed the step i think i dont miss a thing.... but may be i need more information for the reflashing chip...
    When i start up the xbox console wiht the chip on, then i started loading the BIOS from the disk.... then put my burn disk wiht Memorex CD-RW (i have dummy file n bios.bin in it),...it comes up wiht the message >..Waiting for "something"...nothing happen...the tray was ejected n come up wiht the message waiting somthing.....nothing happen .. then just close the tray... i dont know what is going on...it just like updating or something...as long as i remember...it says that dont do anything wiht the console otherwise it will hurt the system or bla bla bla.... then i did nothing ... after the process is done...when I start up the xbox wiht the chip on... I have a black screen, n frag (flash green n red light)...I dont know what to do wiht my Xbox nowI kind of noob here....Anyone who has the answer plz help me, I greatly aprreciate... BTW what is the best chip so far which is can play NTSC n PAL...is Alladion Advance can play it too? coz my frens use the Alladin just work for NTSC i cant plya wiht PAL...