1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Flashing Toshiba Samsung 360 MS28

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by snowman54, Jan 20, 2007.

1. snowman54

snowman54 Member

Hello people who are much wiser then me I need your help. I am inviting my friend around in two weeks and I am going to pay him 40 bucks to flash my xbox 360 for me but I want to make sure that he doesn't screw it up. So I ask of you what do I need to do exactly I have looked at tons of guides but they don't enough pictures for me. Such as what do I do to my computer before hand with setting up the SATA thing. So just some very clear and simple instructions with what I need to get before hand. Thank you I appreciate this more then you can believe and maybe if there easy enough to follow I can save some money.

CHEERS

2. oosel

oosel Regular member

What kind of friend charges you do do something like this. I do my friends for free or cost of parts if needed. Most the guides here are prety good and streight forward.

3. ModdaMIke

ModdaMIke Guest

yeah man dont pay someone to do that, you can do it yourself no problems, and cheaper than you would pay him even if you had to buy the sata card to do it

4. snowman54

snowman54 Member

If you guys give me enough information maybe I can attempt it by myself

5. oosel

oosel Regular member

I wish I could give you more information but the turtorials are awsome I couldent be any more clear in my explination. Best thing to do is try and when you run into a problem describe it in here and you will get help.

6. modster

modster Regular member

Dude, what type of people would charge their friends to flash the firmware! Drop the looser friend!

I would do it for a bud light!

OK, give me a virtual bud light and I will help you!

1. open your dvd drive and determine which drive you have. You have to google for instructions on how to determine the dvd drive

2. if you have samsung then follow the instructions below, but if you have a hitachi drive then sorry dude you are on your own! As of now, all my luck are with Samsung drives!

Samsung drives instructions:
    1. look and see if you have a SATA compatable chipset on your motherboard. Again, you will need to google for "xbox 360 sata chipset compatable". If you don't have onboard sata card, then you can buy one from ebay but make sure the chipset is on the list.
    2. open up your xbox => WARNING: DOING SO WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!
    3. download xtreme v5.2 and buy a croc plug from Radio Shack.
    4. follow xtreme instructions on how to create a boot up floppy
    5. now connect the sata to xbox 360 samsung drive and your PC. LEAVE THE POWER CONNECTION TO THE XBOX 360 on the SAMSUNG DRIVE! NOW, USE A CROC PLUG AND CLAMP IT ON THE CHASIS OF THE PC AND XBOX 360. THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE IF YOUR XBOX AND PC HAVE COMMON GROUND, THEN NOTHING WILL GET FRY!
    6. boot pc and go into bios and disable all ide components
    7. after you get A:/ prompt, then turn on your xbox 360. Wait for 10 seconds then type: mktflash r orig.bin
    8. orig.bin will backup your dvd orignal key. KEEP THIS FILE IN A SAFE PLACE.
    9. then you type: mktflash w /m /sata filename.bin
    10. where filename is what ever file you created from the instructions on xtreme 5.2 package.
    11. shut down pc and xbox and unplug the sata connection and croc plug. Reconnect your xbox 360 dvd to its sata cable.

You are done! Simple eh?

cheers

7. snowman54

snowman54 Member

Thanks heaps for the help
    Could you clarify this a little more just to be on the safe side? I am going to attempt it alone in a couple of days

And whats this I hear about Hex edit?
    Thanks again

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  8. modster

modster Regular member

hex edit is a free program that you will need to modify the mktflash.exe if your sata card chipset is not on the compatability list. Let me know if your sata is not the list, then I can help you on how to use this hex editor.

Back then before version Xtreme v5.0 came out, you have to use hex edit to insert your extracted key into the firmware update. But now, with the Xtreme v5.0 and later, there is a batch file that will do that for you.

All you have to do is run the first firmware read to get the orig.bin from your xbox 360 dvd drive. Then use the batch file to create the bin file to use to flash your xbox 360 drive.

see it's too easy to pay someone an arm and leg to have it done!

cheers

9. snowman54

snowman54 Member

Hey it turns out I have a ms28 drive and Im not confident is soldering and I dont have a VIA chipset

Am I screwed?

10. fostahhh

fostahhh Member

First of all, thanks in advance. This is my first post, and I've tried to read all of the forums on afterdawn before I asked any questions. I've read that it is more difficult to do this process using a laptop, but that is what I would prefer to do if it works.

Here are my questions.

1) When double-checking what onboard SATA chip I have on the motherboard, by going through my pc's system information it told me I have a "Intel 82801DBM Ultra ATA" So does this mean I can flash the Samsung Xbox 360 drive (as is) or do I need to buy a PCI SATA card, and if so would it be compatible with a laptop or just desktop computers??
    2) If I do need one, I've read that a VIA 6421 chipset is the most compatible which I found at this site
    http://iwin2win.stores.yahoo.net/saidecococan.html

Will this enable me to flash the drive successfully following the steps you posted previously in this thread??

I greatly appreciate your help!!
    But what I'm asking is

11. snowman54

snowman54 Member

Dont hijack my thread, just start your own

12. fostahhh

fostahhh Member

I'm confused, but I swear if someone tells me once, I'll remember it. I just have never ventured into something like this before. So I might have a few dumb questions from a beginner.

Is this firmware Xtreme 5.2 an application, or a list of commands that I'm just supposed to copy and past into a command line or something?

Also, I'm still curious exactly what a Croc Plug is, what it does, and if it is something I can order online, since I'm live in a very rural area without a Radio Shack close by.

How exactly do I go into bios and disable all ide components, I apologize for being so green but I'd love to learn.

I'm ready to provide you with a virtual 6 pack of your favorite beverage :)

Thanks!

13. snowman54

snowman54 Member

This isnt your thread and your justing moving further away from my question. Make your own thread and get out of mine you fool.

14. fostahhh

fostahhh Member

I'm not trying to offend you snowman54, I thought that I might have some legit questions that would benefit both of us. I'm going to try and go this process alone too, and I didn't think I would cause any harm since you were asking about the samsung flashing procedure. I don't see the point in opening up two different ones if we can all benefit from this one.

15. modster

modster Regular member

@fostahhh => why don't you create a new thread just for your question or try to stay on the same topic as snowman54.

snowman54 => sorry lad, haven't done a hitachi drive in a while, the only way I know is soldering. there might be newer way to achieve this, you just have to google for it.

cheers

16. snowman54

snowman54 Member

But I don't have an Hitachi drive, I have a Samsung MS28 drive. The problem is I don't have a Via chipset and I was wondering wither it was necessary to have one, and if so where in Australia can I buy one?

17. modster

modster Regular member

oops sorry lad, you can go to newegg.com and order a sata card. it's about $24 USD + shipping. I am sure they will ship to Aus. Or ebay.

believe me, with sata card you can achieve lots. sata card is only way you can communicate with your xbox 360 drive via pc.

cheers

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  18. snowman54

snowman54 Member

Any special brand you would recommend?

19. modster

modster Regular member

here you go lad

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816132009

more info:
    Rosewill RC-212 PCI SATA / IDE Controller Card - Retail

External Ports: 2 x SATA 150
    Features: Chipset: VIA 6421 Bus Interface: PCI bus 32 bit Rosewill special design of “Magic Switch”: RC212 has 2 external and 2 internal SATA ports. You can activate two SATA ports randomly by jumper depending on you need. Two modes for RAID (0/1/0+1) or expanding card for ATA/ATAPI/SATA device (Un-RAID) for your
    Internal Connectors: 2 x SATA 150 + 1 x ATA 133
    Operating Systems Supported: Windows 98SE/ME/NT4.0/2000/XP
    Package Contents: 1 x VIA VT6421 RAID PCI Card 2 x SATA Signal & 2 x Power Cable 1 x IDE ATA/133 Cable 1 x Driver CD 1 x User Manual 1 x Floppy Disk fro fresh installation.
    RAID: SATA 150 + ATA 133 : Supports Raid 0, 1, 0+1
    Transfer Rate: SATA 1.0: up to 150MB/Sec

Model #: RC-212
    Item #: N82E16816132009

cheers

20. xxsaijin

xxsaijin Regular member

I'm soooooo HAPPY I just successfully flashed my 360, took 5 minutes ONLY! Here is what you need.

1. VIA VT6421 (A or L Version) sata card
    2. IDE Cable long enough to reach your cd/dvd drive and the card. Mines wasn't long enough so I had to go out and buy one for about 10 bucks.
    3. USB Flash Drive 32mb is more then enough. It should cost under 10 bucks. ( floppy drive just wont cut it, too slow and high chance to mess up mines did once luckily is was when it was just reading the ORIGINAL FW and not writing it )
    4. Xtreme Boot Maker ( The single most important software for the 360 )
    5. This ones the tricky one. A usb bootable motherboard, ( if you dont got one then your stuck using floppy discs )

with these items you will be able to flash your 360.

PS if your in Canada best place to order your sata card is from www.ncix.com as newegg doesnt ship to canada.