1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with ftp

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by redx, Aug 9, 2004.

1. redx

redx Member

can anyone tell me how to use ftp and which one will be the best one to download. i read that u can use ftp to put episodes on ur site but i need to know how. any info would be helpful.
    THANX.

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

FTP
    (File Transfer Protocol) -- A very common method of moving files between two Internet sites. FTP is a special way to login to another Internet site for the purposes of retrieving and/or sending files. There are many Internet sites that have established publicly accessible repositories of material that can be obtained using FTP, by logging in using the account name anonymous, thus these sites are called anonymous ftp servers.

So first of all, you would have to establish an FTP server for your site -- then others would be able thru an FTP client software program, to retrieve whatever you have on your FTP server.

Basically,you speaking of [bold]""ur site""[/bold], assuming you are webhosted -- That webhost may have FTP server facility ; check that first. -- then ask them what the address is and the method used for login.

If you contemplating operating an FTP client from your home -- then you will have to get approval from your ISP first -- then procure a FTP server program to setup the transfers.

Good Luck