1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Genuine Wiikey troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by lam190, Jun 25, 2007.

1. lam190

lam190 Member

Alright, so i have a USA/NTSC Wii, and I bought an authentic wiikey, i know its real because it has the hologram.

I'm experienced in soldering, and modding video game consoles so the wiikey was not much of a problem.

I checked everything very closely with both my multimeter, and magnifying glass. Everything checks out okay. I used wires. You don't have to ask if everything is soldered correctly, or if there are any bridges. I checked VERY throughly with my multi-meter Over...and over again.. its all correct.

I know your first reaction will be to tell me to check my soldering...but I know that is not the problem. I have re-done it about 5 times now, and still the same thing.

The wii loads original games perfectly, as if no chip was installed.
    Backups however, will not load.....not even the setup disk, or gamecube backups...nothing thats not an original disk.

This is really starting to bug me... I found i post about this same issue, but it really never resolved...The guy who started the post, just replaced his wiikey and then it worked..

Please, if anybody knows something that i'm overlooking.. or ANYTHING...please help.

Thanks,
    L.

2. lam190

lam190 Member

I should also mention I'm using Verbatim dvd+R burnt at 4x

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Wii systems can be very picky at the media it will read.

I have come across threads that say members have tried both DVD+R and DVD-R Verbatim and they did not work for them. I also used Tayio Yuden DVD-R at first and had issues with them.

I finally went to Maxell DVD-R media and it works flawlessly. I am not saying Maxell will solve the issue but I would defiantly try some different media.

DVD-R tend to be better compatible with Wii systems as well. So my suggestion is to try different media DVD-R preferably. See if that solves the issue.

Burn with ImgBurn and slow the burn speed down to around 4x

If that doesn't work then it possibly could be a faulty Wiikey Modchip.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  4. lam190

lam190 Member

Some of you are not going to believe this, but I have some bad news to reports to the wii community. There ARE wii's out there that ARE NOT compatible with the wiikey!

I"M HERE TO CONFIRM THIS!

so from my post above, you can see I was having trouble getting my wiikey to function. So after reinstall, after re-install (NO I DID NOT BURN THE PADS OFF, i use a 15 watt iron because i'm no fool). I decided to try a different wii as I have a few that i sell on ebay (I decided that I will sell mine that i could not mod on ebay "As is")and explain why.

So when i took the new wii apart I noticed something right away. the Panasonic chip that you soldered too looked slightly different. My new wii looked like all of the pictures that I have ever seen of _wiikey installations.

My old wii however (the one the wiikey did not works on) had a slightly different panasonic chip (It had all 6 solder points like the V1 board) But I don't know how to explain it, about 5 of the pins on the top of the panasonic chip...looked different!..i wish i took a picture, because I don't plan to take it back apart. They were indented a little, but not like someone previous to me messed up a mod job. I'm an EE student, and frequently see electronics boards, and this was done by a machine..no human..so where ever this odd dvd-drive came from..lets hope there is only a few floating around BECAUSE IT WAS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH WIIKEY.

First try: I tried a wiikey clone....didn't work, only loaded original games

Second try: figured I got a def. clone, so i got a genuine wiikey! SAME THING! Only originals load! At this point i say to myself..WTF!
    how did I get a def. genuine wiikey too!

So i decide to try one last thing.... My genuine wiikey, in a different, brand new wii. So i modded the new wii, this one did not have to odd indented pins on the panasonic chip. Now after the first install its working great!! Loads up every type of media i throw at it!

Thnaks for your help, but some may wish to spread word of this news around!!!

I don't think my wiikey clone was faulty after all, but its nice to know i did support the real makers of the wiikey

Thanks!

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

This has been discussed before on the site. The Wiikey can still be installed on the Wii if you have this new driveboard. Just a little modification to the panasonic chip is needed to install the Wiikey. For more information go to the link below...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/517095

Here is a link to images of the modification of the panasonic chip.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/wii-modchips/57136-new-north-america-wiis-extremly-hard-mod-2.html

But that does bring up a valid point for lam190,

Check and make sure you haven't got 1 of the new boards that have the 3 legs cut off the panasonic chip. If you do you will need to go to the above site and read on how to modify the chip so you can get your Wiikey to work.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007