1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***Help With HDTV Purchase!***

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by akkkmed, Jan 31, 2008.

1. akkkmed

akkkmed Member

My aunt is looking to buy an HDTV. Right now, she only has some old analog TV.
    She will spend up to $2000, but no more. She wants around a 40/42"

I took her to Best Buy, since I mostly know what I'm talking about/looking for.

Should she stick with a Sony 1080p or Samsung 1080p?
    Both caught her eye, mainly the Sony. The Sony 1080p/40" was $1400 at Best Buy. Is that good?
    And she should stick to LCD versus plasma, right? She likes Discovery Channel and sports.

She definetly wants to buy it at Best Buy or Costco, so could you guys link me with some TVs at either place which you highly reccommend?

I and she would GREATLY appreciate it.
    PLUS, she's looking to buy it this weekend, since it's Super Bowl and prices are the cheapest.

One more question to throw out there:
    What is the difference in all of the Sony HDTVs???!!!???
    Looking at Best Buy's website, there are like 4 40 inchers, and like 5 46 inchers. What's the diff. in the Bravia series???

2. akkkmed

akkkmed Member

I thought people actually HELP you on these boards?
    Guess not... :(

3. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Basically just comes down to preference, what looks good to you? Someone can give you an idea of what to look for but, that's there preference. With that being said, I personaly like DLP's. So if it were me, I would go with a Samsung or Mitsubishi DLP.

The LCD vs Plasma thing, well, there are both pro's and con's to those two technologies. I would go with an LCD over a plasma but, that's just me. Plasma's are typically a bit more pricey and a lot of them only output at 720p. Some people say that LCD's have motion blur issues, so if a lot of sports is watched on the tv, that might be an issue.

I suggest just reading some of the guides on here, like:

Getting Started With HDTV

Here's a nice LCD, it has a nice contrast ratio on it and has plenty of inputs and outputs. On sale for 1,800.00.

Samsung 46' 1080p Flat-Panel

Hope this helped any.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2008
  4. akkkmed

akkkmed Member

Thanks a ton.
    I'm sticking with LCD. We have a 55" Sony Wega, so I know it's good.

Is there any reason not to get the Sony Bravia W3000 series?
    It's onsale at Best Buy, and that's the TV that stood out to my aunt and I. Yes, I know about out of the box settings, but it looked sexy.

Is it a good purchase?

5. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Like you said, that's the tv that stood out to you and your Aunt so, my opinion doesn't really matter. Yea, I'd say that's a good series. Sony usually puts out great tv's but, if I'm not mistaken, I think Samsung actually makes most of Sony's LCD tv's.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2008
  6. FatalAD

FatalAD Member

go samsung lcd 4061f, if you want 120hz faster picture 4071f