1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with iso files

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by hotsoup, Jun 28, 2007.

1. hotsoup

hotsoup Guest

I am having trouble burning iso files to my dvds for playback in my dvd player. I created iso files with power iso and imgburn, but when I try to burn them to a dvd to watch something goes wrong. My dvd player displays a message that it "Cannot Play this disc". And also, what am I suppose to do with that small 5kb MDS file? What is it for? Please help.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Does the burned DVD play in the PC?
    If it plays ok on the PC then it should play on the standalone.

If it does not play on the PC, load the .iso into DVD Shrink to verify that it can read it ok.

File > Open > Disk Image, select the .iso file

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/

The MDS file contains information about the ISO.

3. hotsoup

hotsoup Guest

Yes the disk plays on the pc but will not play in the stand alone. When I attempted to open the .iso file in DVDshrink, it told me that I have an invalid UDF file system. I have no earthly idea what that means. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again Attar.

4. attar

attar Senior member

If possible, create the ISO (from a DVD folder) with DVD Shrink or IMGTool Classic then at least you know that the image is probably in a standard format.
    If I can open a DVD folder or image with DVD Shrink then I know that subsequent problems are either in the burning or inherent to the disk.
    http://coujo.crion.de/Classic_0.91.7.zip

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  5. hotsoup

hotsoup Guest

I think that I am having trouble with this because, the files are in avi format. Could that be the problem? I convert the avi file into a standard iso file and then using imgburn, I burn the iso file I just created to a DVD-R, it tells me the "Operation Completed Successfully!" yet, when I put the disc in the stand alone it can't or won't play the disc but it will play, as you stated earlier on the pc. I apologize for being repetitive, I'm just trying to get the basics of DVD-Video authoring down. However, I did what you suggested and DVDShrink gave me an error message that it couldn't find the file "VIDEO_TS". So again, thanks for your patience with the rookie and as always any advice is greatly appreciated.

6. attar

attar Senior member

Yes, if the original files were avi they could have been converted to DVD (if that was what you required) and burned to the disk to play on the standalone unit..

A standalone player has to have a label on it that says it is 'DivX' compatible to play AVI files that use the DivX or XviD codecs.
    These AVI files are written to a dvd data disk..

A DVD movie disk is different from a dvd data disk.
    When video is authored to a DVD disk it has a certain structure that is reflected exactly in the ISO (the disk image).
    When this image is burned to media it will be a movie disk.

When files (of any type)are simply written to the dvd disk, that disk is a data disk.
    An iso (disk image) of that disk will reflect this.
    When the image is burned on media, it will be a data disk.