1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with jerky playback of DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by shhas, Aug 26, 2002.

1. shhas

shhas Member

I have been getting into video editing these days and finally bought Pinnacle DV500 DVD caputer card.
    Prior to that I have been using a combination of Ulead Movie factory and Nero to burn my DVD-r's which are almost always playable on my standalone dvd player.

Here is the problem. Now that I have spent more to get things done faster, I have hit a glitch. For testing purposes, I used a composite capture off my vcr(e.g. regular AV not DV)through the card (no problem) and edited with Premiere 6.0 and DV edition of Pinnacle and outputed the MPEG file. Premiere/Pinnacle outputs the mpeg files as two files: mp2 video file and wav audio file which Ulead does not recognize. So I had to use Sonic MyDVD to make the DVD. When I burn this with MyDVD, the DVD chokes past my first menu. So I tried my trusted Nero to burn the Video_TS files in UDF/ISO mode. Now it plays but the video is jerky. Every few seconds it has small but very noticable and persistent jerks to it.
    I had read about field order and the fact that it needs to be lower field order with DV. Is that why my composite capture jerks? because of wrong field order?
    I am at an impass and appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks,

Last edited: Aug 26, 2002
  2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

It does sounds like wrong field order. Having the wrong field order looks very jerky in the spots where there is much movement. When there is no movement, you'll notice a very slight jitter in the entire picture.

TMPEGEnc has a project wizard which detects the field order of the video when you select the input AVI/MPEG video. Perhaps you can use that to check and see if your settings in Premiere is correct.

Rgds.