1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Magic Slide on Slim ps2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by sdsunjay, Jun 22, 2007.

1. sdsunjay

sdsunjay Guest

I just purchased Magic Slide similar to swap magic i believe. I dont think that magic slide works on the slim ps2, but i could be wrong. Is there a work around so that magic slide will work on the new slim ps2 or should i start looking for an old ps2?

2. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Magic Slide? As in the slide card where you need to unlock, pull the disk tray, swap disc and gently push it back in, locking it in place for the fat PS2s?

If you got the wrong one for the slim PS2, look here.

3. sdsunjay

sdsunjay Guest

no. magic slide is ps2 software. Not the actual card. Like i said it is like swap magic. Magic Slide is 2 discs.

4. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

You mean that ultimate collection stuff where it has a lot of other programs with it? Those are typically known to not have an operational Swap Magic program.

5. sdsunjay

sdsunjay Guest

oh no. nvm. the thing i purchased is swap magic.

6. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Then have you done a proper installation of the magic key set? The only reason I can think of that it isn't working is because you are doing a TOC refresh rather than doing a simple swap disc and booting to the backup/import game you are trying to play. What version of Swap Magic are you using? The one way you can tell, if you have Swap Magic 3.8 coder, is to read the text appearing from right to left below the 4 options you see. It'll prompt and mention you are doing a TOC refresh if one of your magic keys aren't installed properly.

7. sdsunjay

sdsunjay Guest

I am big enough to admit i have no idea what you are talking about. I am very new to swap magic and that stuff. Please give me a walk through of using swap magic on a slim ps2. The manual only says how to do it on a regular ps2.

8. sdsunjay

sdsunjay Guest

also i am using swap magic version 3.6

9. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Try looking here. Sometimes you need to do a TOC refresh -- which is equivalent to being also called the file size of the game -- is when you can't get a game to play so you reset the TOC with a bigger TOC disc like GTA: San Andreas that's about 4 gigabytes big to 'refresh' it. You can also use a smaller one. The bigger or smaller the refresh depends on varies between PS2 version, Swap Magic version and so forth. I never really had to do a TOC refresh to play any of my games so I can't really vouch for what I can say about what a TOC refresh does or is. All I know is when you're using Swap Magic, if you installed the Magic Keys you've used on your slim PS2, if you didn't install the keys properly, you'll be doing a TOC refresh instead of booting to your import or backup game.

The reason why I'm suspecting you're doing a TOC refresh is because if and when someone wants to do a TOC refresh, one could loosen one of the keys like Magic Key A on the On/Reset button of the slim PS2 to let the slim PS2 know that the lid is open so you can perform a TOC refresh. What the magic keys you've installed allows you to do on a slim PS2 is swap your Swap Magic CD or DVD disc, when the Swap Magic menu loads up, for your backup or import PS2 game you are trying to playing, allowing you to do so without your slim PS2 recognizing this is taking place IF you have the Magic Keys installed that is. If one of the Magic Keys is loosen, when you open your slim PS2's lid to perform a disc swap, you'll mostly perform a TOC refresh rather than booting the actual game itself you are trying to boot.

Edit: and besides, from the way it sounds, the Swap Magic disc set is immaculate and working fully since you managed to boot up to the Swap Magic menu. Of course, there are a few other things you should consider if you still can't get your game to work. What DVD media are you using? Memorex, Sony or what? Have you properly installed the magic keys? Also, make sure you are using the correct disc. Swap Magic CD for PS2 CD-based games which are generally blue-colored on the back and Swap Magic DVD for PS2 CD-based games which are generally silver on the back.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  10. sdsunjay

sdsunjay Guest

ah man. I read your entire thing and it didnt help me very much. I dont kno what magic keys are and I do not have any installed. You didnt give me what I really need, which is a guide to using swap magic. Please remember i kno nothing about ps2 backing up and swap magic.

Now once you have given me a guide and i finally get to a point of where i can test it, I wont be able to test it. I have no "back-ups" of p2s games. I tried backing up burnout 3(on the working list). I dont think i did it correctly. AS we all kno you use dvd decrypter. yea read disc. no problem. Then before you write you have to change the booktype. THe only problem is that the brand name of my drive is not there. So i didnt change the booktype and i just burned the iso image on a Maxell dvd+r 4.7. Eventually i will need a back up of a game to test to see if my ps2 is working how i want it to, but that will be impossible if i dont have a game to test it with. A work around for that is necessary, but not needed until i get to that point. Please give me a detailed guide for swap magic. Thank you in advance

11. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

You know you never said you needed to know how to backup games for use for Swap Magic although it could be my fault for not suggesting it. When you said how to use Swap Magic, I thought you only meant the menus, how to swap discs and such. You should have been more specific. Anyway, you do know you can check out here for a bunch of already commonly asked questions on how to burn games? The stickies each have their respective tutorials explaining how to do such and such.

Edit: and the reason why you can't booktype could be your burner can't support it. Try updating your burner's firmware using DVD Decryptor and see if you still can't.

12. sdsunjay

sdsunjay Guest

honestly none of those guide rele helped me and u have yet to answer a single question of mine. i do not mean to sound ungrateful, but im gonna go somewhere else for help.

13. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

If your burner is listed in the DVD Decryptor option where you want to booktype, and you can't booktype with it, try updating the firmware. Otherwise, you can't booktype with the burner you have. What burner are you using anyway? You said your burner wasn't on the list, correct? It could be DVD Decryptor and your burner don't do booktypes. And besides, you don't really need to booktype your games actually. It simply improves readability as your PS2 games are also read as DVD-ROMs when you read a PS2 game either through DVD Decryptor on your DVD drive or for use on your PS2. DVD-R doesn't support booktypes and people have been using them for their old fat PS2s.

If DVD Decryptor isn't your cup of tea, you could always try Nero or Alcohol 120% and see if you might still be suffering from the same problem. You should also double check and see if you need to rebuild Burnout 3 like shrinking a dummy file/bin before you are able to boot the game up successfully. Sometimes you don't even need to shrink the dummy file if the dummy file is small enough, and you have no problems loading it with it intact.

14. deadlove

deadlove Guest

And in slimlines.. Looks like another one who wants somebody to go round and do it for them.

Want a simple guide to swapmagic? Put the disk in the machine.. boot and when it stops and says press x to load game, change disks and press x... when did looking at a screen and doing what it says suddenly become so hard?

It is real simple to do ps2 backups.. We don't even know what game is being pirated off the torrents and not working here. There is no guarantee that it even works with swapmagic, so why not go back to basics.. do a 1 to 1 copy of just about any ps2 game, like.. uhh.. I dunno.. Taz or Jak and see if that works? Start simple and move on to the harder stuff when there is some guarantee that the disks and burning process are working.

Now hasn't this subject been done to death already?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2007