1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with my partially bricked psp

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by surfgeko, Feb 16, 2007.

1. surfgeko

surfgeko Member

Hey everybody, i think i have partially bricked my psp. I was installing some custom things, gameboot, font, topmenu etc... and lets just say i did somthing wrong, and now when i try to boot it up normally, it crashes. The opening thing works fine, but it freezes after the clock appears, the topmenu_plugin.rco is the culprit i think. I recently read that you can't have a custom topmenu and a custom font at the same time, so i think that this ais my problem. anywhoo, i tried to restore all of the default things with flash agent through the recovery console (i have the latest OE FW installed, A') and it didnt help. I want to just reflash my firmware, but i can't run the OE installer, because it is K-xploited, and it won't run if i turn it into a standard 1.0 eboot. Anyway, is there an app that will reflash my psp for me?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  2. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

use link in my sig and download and run recovery winstaller. then run the app on your psp. try to search for this info next time.

3. chick3n

chick3n Member

Ok, 1st of all, make sure you DONT have version 3.10-A or 3.10-A'. These aren't yet compatible with those files. Ok, here's what I did after semi-bricking my PSP [I put a corrupt topmenu file in the flash. >.< ouch]. Simply download this:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qocu6h

Then, goto recovery mode and goto "Activate USB". Then, run the installer, point it to your PSP drive. [Make sure you at least have about 60MB free.] Then, after installation, your PSP will downgrade to 1.5, reinstall 3.03-A and go from there. :]

4. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

DO NOT DO THAT YOU WILL ALMOST UNDOUBTEDLY BRICK AND THERE IS NO RECOVERY OPTION WHEN THIS HAPPENS.

Many people have bricked this way. If u want to recover directly to 1.5 use my winstaller, it has the files that are meant to do it. If u wanna recovery to 3.03 OE-C use my winstaller, if u wanna recover to 3.10 OE-A use my winstaller. U cant recover to 3.10 OE-A2.

Consider he said 60MB of space and flash0 can only hold 24MB, I would become skeptical.

5. surfgeko

surfgeko Member

thanks guys, i'm downloading it now, if all goes well, you can lock this thread =)

6. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

What are you downloading. I am telling you once agin if you try what's his name's method there is a good chance you will brick. They made the 1.5 recovery method for a reason, and the method he described IS NOT THE RIGHT ONE.

7. chick3n

chick3n Member

Dude, thats YOUR wininstaller. >_>;;;

8. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

is that a question or a statement?

9. chick3n

chick3n Member

I got the link directly from your recovery thread.

10. surfgeko

surfgeko Member

I have 3.10 OE-A2 and am downloading the OE recovery winstaller from Hexitnow's sig

11. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

@chicken
    well u have no idea to use it then, u dont drop the files directly to flash. it's an .exe u run that install's the proper recovery files for a recovery back to 1.5, 3.03 OE-C, or 3.10 OE-A.

EDIT:
    It installs the files to PSP\GAME\RECOVERY, u can then recover back to whatever firmware u chose in the recovery menu. It's as simple as running an eboot.

12. surfgeko

surfgeko Member

yay, i am sucessfully at 1.50, thanks guys!

13. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

u got it.

14. chick3n

chick3n Member

When did I ever say it installed to flash? I was simply stating to goto the original recovery menu incase you couldn't access the one in the XMB.

15. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

You know you're right i misread that. Anyhow you were right there....but still off on the 60MB part. The .exe itself isn't even 19MB.

16. chick3n

chick3n Member

Well, to install back to an OE its like 50mb ish. Maybe lower. =P

17. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

No it's not thats impossible. Flash0 can only 24MB of space. The data.dxar file for recovery is 18.2 MB i believe.

Or do you mean the file size of the winstaller? And if you did mean the winstaller that wouldn't make a difference because that's stored on your PC.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  18. johard

johard Member

hexitnow can u help me pls? i've been thinking of going to 3.03 oe-c because of the cool mods... i currently have 3.10 oe-a'... my concern is, i dont know if i have the right files on my recovery... can i use ur winstaller for the recovery? will it work on 3.10 oe-a'? i don't wanna brick my psp man... pls help? i got the recovery files from some guy here in afterdawn, it showed a corrupted icon in games xmb...

19. chick3n

chick3n Member

Yeah it will work. Just use the recovery one.

20. kakhuis

kakhuis Member

Hi hexitnow
    I have a PSP with fw 3.03 and a ta o82 motherboard. I got this 303EasyDown program from psp-hacks.com, which says that I can downgrade to fw 1.50 even with my TA-082.I Followed these steps:

All files have been placed in the proper locations for you.

Please read all the directions for its use CAREFULLY!

****YOU MUST HAVE A ~UNPATCHED~ GTA VCS TO USE THIS!****
    ****MEANING IT HAS THE 2.0 UPDATE ON THE UMD AND NOT 2.60****

1. Load GTA LCS

2. It should get to loading save game, then the screen will clear to black and fill with a light blue colour, then the PSP will reset itself (if this does not happen see section below)

3. Check that HEN is running by going to system settings, then to "System Information" and it should show up as system version 303 HEN

4. If it is showing up as HEN then go to the memory stick and run the x.yz update

5. If you have an unpatched TA-082 or higher motherboard, you will be prompted to allow the downgrader to patch your motherboard so it can be safely downgraded. The downgrader will not let you proceed without patching, if your motherboard requires it.

6. Before the downgrader does anything to your PSP it will ask for you to agree to what it is doing, if you no longer want to continue press the Right Shoulder Button (R-TRIGGER).

7. Once you have agreed to start the downgrade do not unplug the PSP, or try and restart it

8. Once finished the PSP will ask you to press X, and reset itself

9. If it comes up saying that the settings are corrupt, press x to continue, this will mean you will need to re-enter the settings for network connections into your PSP, otherwise go to step 11.

10 Load the included NetConfigBackup application in your PSP, and select to restore, this will take the backup that was done of the network config that was done automatically during the downgrade.

11 - All done now :) Hopefully you now have a 1.50 PSP. Enjoy it responsibly.

I got to no2 and the black screen just stayed.
    I then reset and nothing happens.
    Have I bricked my psp or can you help me recover it in the recovery menu.

Any help or suggestions will be very much appreciated
    Thank you