1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Newsgroups Please

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by mar624, Sep 26, 2007.

1. mar624

mar624 Member

first i'll start off with a hello since i'm new here. i've been looking into using newsgroups and found some tutorials and they helped a little but i'm still having some problems that i can't find answers to. i'm a newb so go easy.

first off, i'm using grabit and i've got it configured for my ISP's server. i started off with an nzb since people have said they're much easier to use. i went to a site online and found the file i wanted and downloaded the nzb file and loaded it with grabit. grabit then started downloading it. after it was done i opened quick-par to check for errors, which it found.

Question 1: after running quick par, it said i needed 120 more blocks. the problem is that i only have 90 recovery blocks. the tutorials say to just d/l extra blocks from the original poster. how do i do this? i don't even know where to post to find the original poster to ask.

Question 2: i tried another different file just to see if i could get it to work and it says "the file doesn't exist on this server". i got teh nzb file from online so is the problem that grabit is looking for the file on my ISP's newsgroup server and it's not there?

Question 3: i look at all the various posts on my ISP's newsgroup server and they hardly have any files. how do i find anyfiles that i want? i could list the sites i've tried online(not sure if that's against the forum rules or not) but i'm not sure if those files i get from them will be accessable if they're not on my ISP's server (kind of related to question 2). like i said, i'm new at this. i'm not sure i even get where the files come from.

i'm sure i could ask more questions but i thought i'd better start with these first. thank you very much to anyone in advance for trying to help. like i said, i'm a newb, but at least i tried to not waste your time by using tutorials.

2. DMW

DMW Regular member

Hi and welcome to AfterDawn.

In response to your questions below

1) These will have been downloaded by grabit and if it didn't have enough Par files then the chances are your ISP has a low retention as many do unfortunately.

2) Newsgroup servers are basically mirror images of Usenet. The thing that determines what you can download is the Retention and completion rates.
    Many ISPs do not have the space or inclination to keep lots of Binary news posts without charging their customers, so retention rates (the time they keep them) and completion rates (the amount of files they mirror e.g. the Par files) are low.

3) As above basically, you can find a shedload of files on various NZB sites, but if your ISP is limited as most are you will not be able to download all of them.

If you are going to stick with your ISPs servers it may be worth e-mailing them and asking them what their retention and completion rates are. My old ISP had 3 day retention, so I had to be quick if I was going to get something from them.

At the end of it all, if you decide to stick with newsgroups, you will be better paying for a premium account.
    Generally considered the best are Giganewz, also the most expensive, but you should check out their retnetion rates!!!
    I use usenetserver and although many complain about them I have had a 100% hit ratio with all my downloads and their retention keeps getting higher.

Hope this helps and I'm sure you will get all the assistance you need from the people on this site.

3. mar624

mar624 Member

thanks for the reply. i'll look into paying for a premium account- see if that helps at all.

4. Nelmeco

Nelmeco Regular member

Giganews is really good.

5. mistycat

mistycat Active member